PDA

View Full Version : Notoriously finicky eaters

phreezee
04-23-2011, 09:28 PM
I just plopped in a Regal Angel and he's eating pellets. Absolutely ecstatic right now :D

Just wish my little Copperband Butterfly would eat something other than brine and mysis. I've had him for a month now and he's always picky at the rocks. How long do you guys think before I can say I'm "out of the woods" and have beat the odds?

Mandosh
04-23-2011, 09:59 PM
With a Copperband, I don't think you're ever "out of the woods." After 8 months of doing great I recently lost mine to a maxi-carpet anemone.

phreezee
04-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Sorry for your loss, did your's ever eat dry foods?

Mandosh
04-23-2011, 11:22 PM
I had some luck with freeze-dried mysis soaked in garlic to soften it up.

Reef Pilot
04-24-2011, 02:35 PM
This is how I got mine eating different foods.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73021

I recently sold one of the Copperbands. He was doing great, but had to be relegated to the refugium. The other is in my display tank, and is also doing well eating the same dry and frozen foods.

phreezee
04-24-2011, 03:13 PM
^I totally followed that thread and went out and bought all the food, but my tangs would always get all the before the CBB could figure it out. Still think the idea is awesome but didn't have luck with it.

Pecking order seems to be established today, both the Regal Angel and Purple Tang I got yesterday have settled in nicely :)

Reef Pilot
04-24-2011, 03:38 PM
^I totally followed that thread and went out and bought all the food, but my tangs would always get all the before the CBB could figure it out. Still think the idea is awesome but didn't have luck with it.
:)
Yes, I can see that. I did mine in the quarantine tank (refugium) where they were not intimidated by other fish. I wanted to get them eating other foods before moving to the display tank. Copperbands are very timid fish, so they need as much of a head start as you can give them with eating.

However, once eating dry food, and from the surface, my Copperband was able to fend for himself quite well even with a very active and voracious feeder, my Green Bird Wrasse. I had them both together for a while in my refugium, before I sold them.

naesco
04-24-2011, 05:19 PM
I just plopped in a Regal Angel and he's eating pellets. Absolutely ecstatic right now :D

Just wish my little Copperband Butterfly would eat something other than brine and mysis. I've had him for a month now and he's always picky at the rocks. How long do you guys think before I can say I'm "out of the woods" and have beat the odds?

You are never out of the woods when you buy a copperband butterfly. Their survival rate is very poor.

Unless your regal angel comes from the Red Sea, she is destined to the same fate.

HAPPY EASTER

phreezee
05-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Regal angel has fattened up to the same size as my Flame angel :).

Just the other day I noticed my "prized" aipstasia (2 inches across) was gone too, looks like the CBB is eating well. :)

daniella3d
05-11-2011, 03:16 AM
It probably died and the current dragged it into the anemone? If a maxi carpet can eat a fish that big, I would definitly not put any with any fish.

I have a rock flower, a very large tube anemone and a few maxi mini carpet and they can't even eat my slow moving mandarin fish which is always going around and over them.

With a Copperband, I don't think you're ever "out of the woods." After 8 months of doing great I recently lost mine to a maxi-carpet anemone.

Jan
05-12-2011, 05:02 PM
My copperband (have had it for 2 years) loves Pacifica Plankton and But he is still skinny.

http://redcoralaquarium.net/online/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_95&products_id=1167

Tracey2
05-12-2011, 09:12 PM
My regals and copperband loves live black worms, pe mysis, ocean plankton and rogers reef food, the regals also eat pellets and flakes.

daniella3d
05-13-2011, 01:28 AM
Try some live mussels. Mine eats live white worms and live mussels and he's really fat. You can buy them fresh at the grocery store and then you brush it under warm running water to remove any parasites and then you open it up and give it to the fish. Mine don't even want to eat the live white worms on the day I put in a mussel. He just love it (and so does my niger trigger!).

My copperband (have had it for 2 years) loves Pacifica Plankton and But he is still skinny.

http://redcoralaquarium.net/online/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_95&products_id=1167