PDA

View Full Version : Tufa Rock

SpateD
04-23-2011, 07:31 PM
So I'm trying to decide if I should order up Marco rock for my 120 reef... but I know it's quite pricy.

My question is, does anyone know anything about Tufa Rock? Is it good for a saltwater tank? Does it make for good Live Rock (density and all)?

AquaticFinatic
04-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Man I haven't heard of tufa rock for years lol. I used it back in the uk around 10 years ago and it did me well but I was just a fowler tank back then. Its more of a sandy rock from what I remember and porous not much help I guess sorry.

EcoReefer
04-24-2011, 01:19 AM
Tufa rock can and has been used in marine setups. Its a cheaper alternative to live rock but there can be some risk. Some people report there is excessive nuisance alga growth with this rock. This could be due to the rock not coming from a clean source (been exposed to fertilizers, pesticides which can leach into your tank). BTW what is the Tufa rock going for these days??

SpateD
04-24-2011, 01:21 AM
I just remember googling it and I think it was from a year or two ago, said 44 cents per pound.

I'm looking for marco dry rock.. I need 100-150 lbs and I want to spend around 200-300 getting it to my door.

eli@fijireefrock.com
04-24-2011, 01:33 AM
Wow tufa rock for a reef I don't recommend it.
I have used it about 15 years ago it was of to use,lots of algae problems and the possibility of leaching metal traces into your aquarium in my opinion yes you could use it but is it worth the problems that be released by the rock.
I would spend a little money for the safety of the inhabitant going into your tank.or better yet you will see some reefers every now and then shutting down their tanks and you might get lucky with a good price but you will never beat 0.30 cents a lb if you are taking the plunge.

Rogue951
04-24-2011, 02:19 AM
So I'm trying to decide if I should order up Marco rock for my 120 reef... but I know it's quite pricy.

My question is, does anyone know anything about Tufa Rock? Is it good for a saltwater tank? Does it make for good Live Rock (density and all)?

marco rock is the cheapest of the rocks. only about $3 a pound. live rock is approx $7 a pound. what makes you think marco is pricey?

SpateD
04-24-2011, 02:25 AM
The Marco in Lethbridge is 4.50/lb.

Considering on marcorock.com the price is $285.00 for 150 lbs.... up here, it's beyond pricy.

Rogue951
04-24-2011, 02:43 AM
j&l aquatics here is $150 for 50 lbs. free shipping over 100$.
only other sugguestion is shut down tank rock.

NanoN00b
04-24-2011, 03:31 AM
I doubt J&L will ship rock for the $100 deal. It's on dry goods only, not even lamps.

Tufa can be sourced from eastern BC in Alberta. There is a fellow who mines it for rock garden builders and the horticultural market. I recall near Sparwood?

Anyways, I'd recommend buying it at $4.50/lb or driving to Calgary for a day.

Tufa seems like a rock that would definitely invite algae, but I'm not about to setup a tank to try it - and I've never done it. YMMV.

intarsiabox
04-25-2011, 03:35 AM
I set up a 75g reef tank about 7 years ago with tufa and a few good pieces of real live rock to seed it. I had the tank running for 2 years and never had any algae problems. I only had soft corals and a few fish in it but everything grew like crazy in the tank. I personally wouldn't use tufa again though because it really doesn't look much to me like actual live rock, even after cured, and it is probably 4x as dense as live rock as well. Keeping an eye on canreef for people selling cheap live rock is what I would recommend even if it takes awhile to buy bits at a time as your budget allows. Good live rock has lots of amazing things on it to keep you interested while you build your collection and I think you will be more satisfied in the long run.

SpateD
04-25-2011, 03:52 AM
I've decided to stick with Marco Rock. :) Thank you everyone.

RedCoralEdmonton
04-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Have you checked Red Coral Lethbridge? I know we have Marco rock in stock and its not that expensive in Calgary or Edmonton, check our website for pricing

Steve