PDA

View Full Version : Introducing new fish into reef problems

Douglas
04-23-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm having trouble introducing any new fish into my reef at all...,:sad:. Would like to add a Goby, or wrasse, but something is picking on any newly added fish....and two, or three days later, the fish is missing, forced into a corner or sucked onto the overflow because it looks beat on. Any Ideas?

monocus
04-23-2011, 05:11 PM
what other fish do you have in your tank and how big is it-i had the same problem with my powder blue.it would attack anything added.i solved the problem by adding 3 fish at once.also try to add the fish just before lights go out-some fish have memory problems and will not notice a new tankmate in the morning

Leah
04-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Have had the same problem in my reefs...and As monocus said I was successful only when I added quite a few at the same time.
The established fish seemed to think a single addition was just wrong. :cry:

Douglas
04-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Hippo tang, flaming angle, one yellow tailed damsel, two pyjama cardinals, a falco hawkfish, lawn mower blenny, a pair of ocellaris clowns and a mandrine. 72 gal tank. Rock and coral to hide in.

ponokareefer
04-23-2011, 08:45 PM
The damsel is the most likely bully.
Another possibility is the Hippo tang though. My old hippo tang started to get more aggressive with size and considering yours is in a 72 gallon, it may be killing off whatever is coming in because it already feels squished.

sgreen
04-23-2011, 08:56 PM
What size is your Hippo Tang, as Ponokareefer said they can be aggressive towards others as they grow in a small tank, Hawkfish and Damsels can also get aggressive. I would use caution with any other fish you are going to add.

phreezee
04-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Hate those yellow tail damsels, they're all jerks.

hillegom
04-23-2011, 10:31 PM

+1 lol

Tom R
04-23-2011, 11:12 PM

Yes a $3.00 fish that can cost you hundreds.

Tom R

chandigz
04-24-2011, 07:29 PM
I had a pair of yellow tail damsels beat the snot out of a small black longnose tang I'd just purchased. I had to work early the next day so I ended up pulling all the rock out at midnight to get the little bastards because I didn't think the black tang would survive a day alone with them.

Douglas
04-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Yes, the Damsel has been a pain. Something the wife picked out, because of the colour. But i'm sure he's not the only culperate. The hippo tang could be a problem too, along with the flaming angle and hawkfish. I might have to catch the Tang soon. He may need to go to a bigger tank. I've had him since he was the size of a nickle. But with the addition and growth of coral, he could be feeling the squeeze.

marie
04-24-2011, 09:31 PM
My falco hawkfish secretly stalks any new fish that gets added to my tank. He's very sneaky about it and weaves in and out of the rockwork trying to catch the new fish unawares

naesco
04-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes, the Damsel has been a pain. Something the wife picked out, because of the colour. But i'm sure he's not the only culperate. The hippo tang could be a problem too, along with the flaming angle and hawkfish. I might have to catch the Tang soon. He may need to go to a bigger tank. I've had him since he was the size of a nickle. But with the addition and growth of coral, he could be feeling the squeeze.

Good call Douglas. You probably noticed how quickly they grow.

All tangs need the room that 6' tanks provide.

Than again as your wife is responsible for the problem, maybe she will fully support the absolute necessity of upgrading to a six foot tank to provide optimum conditions for the tang she chose.

HAPPY EASTER