PDA

View Full Version : was hard finding food for purple nudibranch

zink12
04-23-2011, 06:27 AM
After searching and searching for food for the purple nudibranch that is commonly sold at LPS's and wrong fully advised I finally found if on a sea slug forum. Most LPS's sell them and say they eat algae and a fewer smarter ones said they eat any sponge but after owning one with a sponge that he didn't eat obviously doesn't eat just any sponge. Most people said they are not ment for aquarium but I found an something sea slug forum that they eat 2 different type of family's of sponges. Hopefully this will feed them so I can have in my aquarium. Dysidea or Aplysilla sponges. Heres the web site.
http://www.seaslugforum.net/message/1755
Now I just have to find one of these sponge to test it

daniella3d
04-24-2011, 01:21 AM
right, good luck.

I had a black doris that lived for like 8 months in my aquarium and that is also a sponge eater, but I never really knew what it was eating. I have tons of sponges in my aquarium so I guess it was eating some of them. I have not seen it for a long time now but it only come out at night so not sure if it is still there.

After searching and searching for food for the purple

Now I just have to find one of these sponge to test it

ScubaSteve
04-24-2011, 07:09 AM
Nudis are obligate eaters so they sent to be VERY specific in what they eat. I'm not surprised how selective the purple nudi is.

zink12
04-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Nudis are obligate eaters so they sent to be VERY specific in what they eat. I'm not surprised how selective the purple nudi is.
I was surprised because I expected the pet store to have done their research lol but I guess I learned my leason. The nudibranch they should sell is the lettuce nudibranch cause they eat algae and also berghia nudibranch cause they eat aiptasia and also velvet nudibranch cause they eat flat worms. And if you see ANY other nudibranch that you may see at a store make sure you do your research first.

naesco
04-24-2011, 05:17 PM
They should not be selling any nudies unless they are special ordered by reefers specialized in keeping them.

On the other hand reefers should do their research before they go out and buy any marine species to make sure they have a chance of survival in our reef tanks.

HAPPY EASTER

DeneBanger
04-25-2011, 12:40 AM
All nudibranches are carnivores and are very diet specific, it is not enough to say, this one eats "two kinds of sponges" or "two families of sponges" more than likely (95% sure) a specific nudi will only eat one type of sponge within that family of sponges. It is kind of like saying that Berghia eat anemones, but it really isn't so, Berghia only eat Aiptasia pallida, not majano anemones. I hope that you do have food for your nudi in your tank but chances are very slim and this poor fellow probably doesn't stand a chance, mind you it didn't stand a chance at the LFS either (which in their defence they probably didn't order but came in on one of their shipments as an "extra" or a "hitchiker".