PDA

View Full Version : Sump Ideas

fishattic
04-23-2011, 04:46 AM
Is it possible to install a sump if I do not have holes drilled into the tank? Is there some kind of pump system I could install?

abcha0s
04-23-2011, 05:07 AM
Your best bet is to drill the tank. There are some creative ways to do this and it doesn't have to cost a lot of money. If you need the name of someone who can help you with this, let me know.

The other way, and to answer your question, is here:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/info/89/Overflows+%26+Sumps.html

Take a look at the CPR C-Siphon Aquarium Overflow.

If you've never dealt with J&L, you'll have lots of fun browsing their website.

- Brad

fishattic
04-23-2011, 05:20 AM
thanks for your reply...

That website is fantastic and I am going to look into the product.

I know common sense tells me that you need to drain your tank before drilling but have they figured out a way to do it without having to drian it?

abcha0s
04-23-2011, 05:24 AM
It is possible to drill a tank with water in it. You have to lower the waterline below the holes and seal the area so glass doesn't fall back into your tank.

However, it's probably more trouble than it's worth unless you have a bigger vision for your tank.

asylumdown
04-23-2011, 06:21 AM
have you ever used one of those CPR overflows? How do they work?

In a normal overflow, the rate at which water empties in to the sump depends entirely on how fast the pump is sending it back to the tank. Wouldn't a siphon overflow like that continue to siphon water at a set speed regardless of if the return pump from the sump was running? How do you balance the speed at which water drains via the siphon against what would be a very fickle adjustment of pump return speed?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like it would be very easy to either overflow your sump/continuously lose siphon or accidentally completely drain your sump and overflow your display.

They're a very attractive option as I want to get all the ugly bits like my refugium and hang on the back skimmer for my 20 of the main display and tucked away in a cabinet, but I don't want to buy a whole new tank or mess around with drilling the one I have. Just not sure how they actually run.

blacknife
04-23-2011, 06:27 AM
i have never had one but i believe those HOB overflows will not over siphon the tank. the part in the tank is a small overflow box and when the water is to low no more will drain. some use a qualifier pump to regain the siphon if that low water condition breaks the siphon.

drill bits are cheap it would be easy to find a non drilled .. or even already drilled tank. diy it to the specs you need, and then move everything over.

or depending on what you have going on for a tank just put everything in a rubbermaid holding container, do the work to your tank, rebuild everything, get it running then move the livestock over when everything is kosher.

if the available ones are to expensive you could probably diy one that is just as functional for fairly cheap if you are at all crafty and can do a good google search.

untamed
04-24-2011, 02:18 AM
I used a CPR overflow for 10+ years on my old tank. It worked reliably. A pump is used to pull any stray air out of the top of the siphon. If air would be allowed to accumulate in the siphon, it would stop...which would be VERY bad.

That is the only job of the pump. The pump is not there to restart the siphon following a power failure. The siphon will always restart automatically as long as there is no air in the siphon.

Bblinks
04-24-2011, 07:25 AM
I had a CPR overflow for a year or so, it really served its purpose, but I wouldn't want to use it again since there was a couple of time I woke up thinking it was raining but instead it was my tank over over flowing onto my face. :( If you are interested check out this website, super realiable and it will not cause a swimming pool in your place. http://www.lifereef.com/
Extremely well built.

RuGlu6
04-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Is it possible to install a sump if I do not have holes drilled into the tank? Is there some kind of pump system I could install?

Check LIFEREEF (http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html) out, they are making the best sumps and overvlows on the planet. They call overflow box a pre-filter box.