PDA

View Full Version : TDS meter for salinity reading

Chin_Lee
01-13-2004, 07:04 PM
I already have a TDS meter (attached to my tri-meter) and I would like to be able to use it to make up my saltwater. Assuming that I use the same brand salt each time and I have 0 tds reading from my RO/DI water, I'm wondering if anybody knows what the TDS reading is for each .001 increment of salinity? Ultimately I would like to know the TDS amount to achieve 1.022. 1.023 and 1.024 salinity levels.

I tried finding the web page for Instant Ocean to ask them this question but I can't find it neither.
On the other hand, I don't know if this method will be reliable considering the inconsistent batches of IO salt that I've read in the past half a year or so. If anybody have a tds meter and a pinpoint salinity monitor, can you post the results with the salt brand, ro/di water TDS reading and tds readings at your preferred salinity level? Maybe we can compile some data to determine the consistency of certain brands of salts and at the same time, I can use the date to use my tds meter to make my saltwater.

Any thoughts, advice?

Actually I just read on reefcentral that the tds reading would be off the chart at our salinity levels. So never mind

StirCrazy
01-13-2004, 11:57 PM
there is no way of doing it by TDS well there is but our meters don't go that high, I think the number is in the neibourhood of 12000ppm but I am not sure. I inquired into this about a year ago and was told to forget it by a few companies.. also for old sea water you don't know the make up so you don't know how much is salt, how much is Ca ect...

Steve