PDA

View Full Version : Black Brittle Starfish Question

Madreefer
04-21-2011, 05:36 PM
I got a black brittle starfish as a hitchiker about 10 years ago. It started out to be the size of a dime and is now rather big. It has always lived in the same rock even after several tank swaps and "tank renos". For the last 2 days it has been in the middle of my tank not moving. There is no sings of any of it's arms deteriating and the tentacles are still on it's arms. I'm contimplating taking it out. Does anybody know the lifespan of these or have any suggestions. I know Whatcaneyedo just had a green brittle that died. I did flip it upside down and left it for a couple of hours and it did not turn itself over.

PoonTang
04-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Yes that doesnt sound good, they are usually quite sensite to touch and dont like to be out in the open and in bright lights. My best guess is that its on its way out. Sorry to hear, they really are neat creatures.

RuGlu6
04-21-2011, 06:50 PM
You need to do a quick smell test , most likely its on the starfish heaven already looking down at you LOL

Madreefer
04-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys. Yesterday was a scheduled cloudy day for my tank (MH off). I'll see if it moves a few hours after the MH's turn on today. Whats confusing is that it looks very normal but the odd behavior is weird and it's not hardened up at all. The only way i've seen starfish die is by deteriating and dropping limbs.

mike31154
04-21-2011, 07:52 PM
I have two kind of tan coloured brittle stars. As mentioned, the tentacles usually react quickly whenever they're disturbed. I feed mine small chunks of silversides whenever I'm also feeding my BTAs. Try feeding it a small scrap of shrimp or silverside, whatever you have in terms of raw fish food. It should react fairly quickly and grab what you're offering.

Madreefer
04-21-2011, 08:39 PM
I figured out what it is. The lawnmower blenny that has turned in to a real A hole in the last few months has been biting at it alot and has decided to take over the hole that the starfish lives in. Not only that but he is also attacking a clam and now the clam has detached from the rock he has been on for the last few years.