PDA

View Full Version : Feeding time

flyboy
04-21-2011, 08:43 AM
I was playing around with my camera the other night and put together this little video. Nothing really special, just my tank while I was feeding. The lion fish and blue ribbon eel eat frozen silversides and krill. Funny to see the lion fish show up at the front of the tank like all the others now.

http://youtu.be/WxdkL5kM8oc

Leah
04-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Really enjoyed your video. You have a very nice tank. Would love to hear details about your tank. Thanks for sharing.

reef-keeper
04-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Nice video! You have lots of diversity in you tank.

fishoholic
04-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Cool :biggrin:

flyboy
04-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Would love to hear details about your tank. Thanks for sharing.
My current tank is a 120 gallon in which I attempted to create lots of swimming space and refuge at the same time.

The tank has had changes over the years and used to be a reef. As I got busier it started to show a lack of maintennace (glass cleaning) and I grew frustrated with coming home to algae on the glass every four days. I did a 180 and went back to how I originally got into this hobby 17 years ago and that was with fish. It sparked a whole new flame and you have what you now see.
Fish:
Blue Face Angel
Flame Angel
Coral Beauty
Clown
Foxface
Naso Tang
Snowflake Moray
Blue Ribbon Eel
Volitan Lion

All my fish are bright and vibrant and quite plump. I feed a combination of foods but very heavy on New Life Spectrum pellets and Formula One pellets. The lionfish and snowflake eat frozen krill and silversides. The blue ribbon eel eats frozen silversides. I originally had him on krill but once he got a taste for silversides that became his favourite. He eats one, (sometimes two) silverside(s) a day. His growth has been great.

The bamboo shark eats silversides, krill and for a treat, a piece of salmon. I have learned to feed him silversides first. If I add krill to the tank first it can induce a frenzy. Not good to him as he has once he jumped into the overflow. You should see the foxface if that happens! Owners of foxfaces will no what I mean...

There are a few leather corals and mushrooms scattered about as well as snails and brittle stars.

Equipment consists of:
An in sump skimmer from Reef Dynamics rated for 600 gallons.
Two 175 watt Hamilton 14k bulbs
I actinic on for 1 hour before and after the halides turn off. Contolled by a Neptune Systems controller.
Three moonlight leds.
One 1/4 horse Pacific Coast Chiller
Tunze wavebox
One large Vertix bio pellet reactor
UV sterilizer

Additives include ESV two part calcium
Iodine (crucial to sharks in preventing goiter)
Carbon in the sump
Water is kept at about 79F

Cheers, Justin