PDA

View Full Version : nitrite not climbing

DOMINATOR
04-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Hey guys, so i started cycling a week ago with a couple of raw uncooked fresh shrimp and my ammonia levels have definately climbed but nothing is happening with nitrites....can anyone explain this to me? how long after ammonia climbs will nitrites start climbing???
Not even sure if im in the right thread but im sure ill find out soon enough!!:)

chandigz
04-21-2011, 02:00 AM
Your cycle will very depending on stocking levels, how much live rock you have or if you are using a lot of bacterial suppliments. In a tank with a small amount or no live rock your cycle may go something like this. Your ammonia will probably spike around the 10 to 14 day period then it should drop as it is converted to nitrite. As your ammonia drops you will see the biggest rise in nitrite. Your nitrite will spike around the 21 to 24 day period when it will drop as it is converted finally to nitrate. I have had tanks with a lot of live rock, established sand, and bacterial suppliments go thru an extremely short soft almost undetectable cycle.

Good rule of thumb: Full cycle 30+ days. Fully established 6+ months.

You will usually also go thru an 'algae' cycle to. Brown surface(diatom) then green surface, then hair algae(sometime), finally controlled or no algae.

Most importantly be patient. Slow down. Take things slow. The only thing that will happen fast if you try to rush things are problems.

abcha0s
04-21-2011, 02:04 AM
Nitrite in an aquarium is measured in ppb, not ppm. Point is that it is generally undetectable unless something is out of balance.

During a new tank cycle, the ammonia consuming bacteria are reproducing as are the nitrite consuming bacteria. Unless the ammonia consumers outpace the nitrite consumer it will generally be undetectable.

Anyway, lots of people never measure a nitrite spike. I personally wouldn't bother testing for it.

- Brad

DOMINATOR
04-21-2011, 02:09 AM
Thanks for that! I have two 90 gallon tanks sharing the same 100 gallon sump, about 150-200 pounds of live rock( they were dry when i put them in the tank, i only rinsed them) then added a rock from a friends tank five pounds maybe plus sand( 2inch) ammonia is climbing slow maybe 2 ppm...shrimp are now completely decomposed...buddies rock had a little starfish and a snail on it which i realized once i put it in the tank

DOMINATOR
04-21-2011, 02:13 AM
and thanks for that too Brad!!!

abcha0s
04-21-2011, 03:26 AM
After reading chandigz's post, I think he makes some good points. I guess the whole point of a cycle is that things are out if balance. In my experience, I've only ever detected nitrite in a quarantine tank with no live rock, but it is definitely there and plays a critical role in the nitrogen cycle. There is no nitrate without nitrite first. Understanding the role of nitrite is important although Im still not sure that it's worth testing for?

- Brad

asylumdown
04-22-2011, 08:39 AM
+1 on the raw shrimp method.

Asides from not harming any fish, it's also kind of cool to watch (even if you're really just 'visualizing the process in your head) the establishment of a complete bacterial ecosystem from the decomposition of something you'd throw out after a cocktail party. I think the bacteria in filters and live rocks are half the reason I think fish tanks are so cool. The conversion of sterile substrate to a living, breathing, life support system is mind bogglingly awesome.

Can't wait to get to turn a whole bunch of fossilized, million year old marco rock back in to the beating heart of an active reef.

untamed
04-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Years ago, when I started my first tank, I did daily tests on Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate during start up. I graphed the results and you do get a very distinct spike of Amm and nitrite during the cycle. IME, the nitrite spike was very short lived (like, 1 or 2 days).

That was followed by a rise in nitrate, which was more stable.