PDA

View Full Version : Neptune eb8 low wattage device problems.

zum14
04-20-2011, 06:31 PM
So apparently my eb8 is a bit touchy. I know that the triac switches are finikey and dont take to low wattage devices well so i moved my top off pump to a relayed switch. But still when my pump turns off after topping up my tank it triggers something wierd and my fan turns on. The switch state is off and the fan is not needed but the fan is running. If you unplug it and plug it back in the fan stays off, otherwise it runs for about 20 mins then turns off on its own. So i did some searching and found that if you use a single outlet surge protector it seems to filter whatevers going on and allow you to run low wattage devices but what im trying to figure out is what im supposed to do. Leave the pump on the relayed switch and put the surge protector on it? Or am i to put the surge protector on the fan plug? Or do i move my top off pump back to a triac switch and put the surge protector on that plug? Id like to get it back to a triac as they last longer for consantly switched devices. Thanks if anyone has any ideas.

outacontrol
04-21-2011, 12:28 AM
I am not sure about the surge protector, but the reason the triac output and ATO pump don't work together is because the triac turns on due to a trigger every 8milliseconds (or so) from the controller and should "turn off" every 8milliseconds due to a lack in current, but the small pumps draw very little current at a very poor power factor. Therefore they don't "turn off" the triac reliably. I would leave the ATO pump on the relay controlled output for better results.

zum14
04-21-2011, 12:35 AM
I am not sure about the surge protector, but the reason the triac output and ATO pump don't work together is because the triac turns on due to a trigger every 8milliseconds (or so) from the controller and should "turn off" every 8milliseconds due to a lack in current, but the small pumps draw very little current at a very poor power factor. Therefore they don't "turn off" the triac reliably. I would leave the ATO pump on the relay controlled output for better results.

Any idea why the plugs all flash on when the relay kicks out? I noticed my sump light flashes and i think its the reason the fan kicks on as well.

outacontrol
04-21-2011, 12:53 AM
That really makes no sense, try the surge protector / suppressor plugged into the relay with the ato plugged into it.

zum14
04-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Ok ill give that a go when i get one. Thanks for the help.

abcha0s
04-21-2011, 04:11 AM
For what it's worth, my Neptune Systems stuff all do exactly the same thing that you describe. This is the same for the DC8 and EB8. It was the same for my ACIII Pro and now my Apex. I get the outlet flashing behavior just as you describe it.

When I contacted Neptune to discuss this, there response was "that really makes no sense?" Response from Neptune has always been quick, but they have never actually acknowledged or resolved a problem for me.

I'm not sure that I can offer a solution. I just don't connect anything with a "poor power factor" into any of the triac outlets. The EB4 is all relays if you have lots of small pumps/fans to control.

I thought I'd jump on the thread in hopes of learning something myself.

- Brad

PoonTang
04-21-2011, 05:24 AM
I had a Triac switch that was sticking on ever so slightly and allowing some current to pass through. I wound up sending it in under warranty for repairs. i would send Kurt @ Neptune an email and see what he suggests.

zum14
04-23-2011, 06:30 PM
So just to update, i plugged a cheapy powerbar into the relay'd plug and then plugged the top off pump into it and no more outlet flashing. Interesting.

Bblinks
04-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Take a look at the firmware, make sure it is up-to-date. I had the same problem before until I updated to the new firmware, after that it was smooth sailing.