PDA

View Full Version : to those dosing...

mark
04-20-2011, 03:51 PM
... Randy's 2 part.

Write up says equal amounts and got a reply from the man himself that amounts are "nearly always equal (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1997429)", but real life, finding much variation?

Myka
04-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Dose equal parts for a week, then test Sunday (or whatever day you choose), and add just the lower one to balance it out.

Or get a couple of dosers and adjust them individually so you don't care how many mL each day. :D

Delphinus
04-20-2011, 04:44 PM
In real life, nope, not finding much variation, once outside of the dialing in period. Maybe not 100% equal but pretty close. I just have a ghetto dosing environment: two peristaltic pumps, one that is I think 1.1 ml/min and one that is 1.0 ml/min (they are not the same model) and these are on timers. I start with dosing each 3 times a day but alternating (not at the same time). So say I want to dose 40ml 3 times a day to make 120ml per day based on RHF's estimate of a "moderate" consumption based on tank volume. So I set both timers to 40 minutes each. Then I test after a couple days and adjust the "minutes on" up or down as needed to make the trend stabilize towards the numbers I like. During this time the amounts dosed end up being nowhere equal but it's because not only am I trying to find the right amounts to dose, because Alk levels influence Ca consumption rates and vice-versa; but also because the tank might not be starting at the levels where I want them to. So I first target Alk and once I get a steady reading there I leave it and then work on the Ca (while working on Alk, I do manual adjustments once per week on the Ca since it ends up being lower than target during this time). After about 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks, I found the magic number of minutes for each to acheive steady levels. And from there I can see that the reservoirs are lowering at around the same rate.

Sounds like a pain but it really isn't. Automated dosers make the process even easier, if you're OK with the higher start up cost for those. Once you've got them dialed in it's pretty much set and forget. I test my numbers once or twice a week and they have been steady for months now. I expect that as corals grow I'll have to up the minutes on the timers but I expect it to be minute adjustments.

I love not worrying about CO2 though, or media turning to mush, or compaction of the media, or the reactor burping and releasing a cloud of milky water into the tank. I don't really miss my old reactors anymore.

Hope this helps.

Lance
04-20-2011, 05:45 PM
+1 Tony. My dosing system is nearly identical to yours. And like you I test once a week and top up what is needed. Fairly easy set up I think.
Had a weird scenario awhile back though: Calcium requirements went up by about 30% all of a sudden. Increased the Ca doser to make up the difference. All was fine at the new levels for a couple of months and then the calcium levels were starting to get too high. Dialed back the doser to the original setting and all is fine again. Must have been some rapid growth in the corals, clams, corraline etc. Can't say as I really noticed anything though.

imcosmokramer
04-20-2011, 05:56 PM
In real life, nope, not finding much variation, once outside of the dialing in period. Maybe not 100% equal but pretty close. I just have a ghetto dosing environment: two peristaltic pumps, one that is I think 1.1 ml/min and one that is 1.0 ml/min (they are not the same model) and these are on timers. I start with dosing each 3 times a day but alternating (not at the same time). So say I want to dose 40ml 3 times a day to make 120ml per day based on RHF's estimate of a "moderate" consumption based on tank volume. So I set both timers to 40 minutes each. Then I test after a couple days and adjust the "minutes on" up or down as needed to make the trend stabilize towards the numbers I like. During this time the amounts dosed end up being nowhere equal but it's because not only am I trying to find the right amounts to dose, because Alk levels influence Ca consumption rates and vice-versa; but also because the tank might not be starting at the levels where I want them to. So I first target Alk and once I get a steady reading there I leave it and then work on the Ca (while working on Alk, I do manual adjustments once per week on the Ca since it ends up being lower than target during this time). After about 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks, I found the magic number of minutes for each to acheive steady levels. And from there I can see that the reservoirs are lowering at around the same rate.

Sounds like a pain but it really isn't. Automated dosers make the process even easier, if you're OK with the higher start up cost for those. Once you've got them dialed in it's pretty much set and forget. I test my numbers once or twice a week and they have been steady for months now. I expect that as corals grow I'll have to up the minutes on the timers but I expect it to be minute adjustments.

I love not worrying about CO2 though, or media turning to mush, or compaction of the media, or the reactor burping and releasing a cloud of milky water into the tank. I don't really miss my old reactors anymore.

Hope this helps.

ha ha, well put. I actually loved dosing, but now I'm using a CaRX because I'm just away to much.

There is just so much more control when you physically put something in your tank. You'll never accidentally add a 2 liters instead of 50ml

Myka
04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
You guys' dosing sounds really complicated. :lol:

I have dosers that dose 3x a day each, and I test once a week. Manually dose once a week if needed after testing, and if I have to manually dose two weeks in a row I will increase the doser by a few minutes. If something is too high I will unplug that doser to skip a dose or two.

Before I got dosers I would manually dose calcium in the morning and alkalinity at night using equal parts. Once a week I would test, and add whatever was needed to balance out. If something was too high I would skip dosing that one for the next day or two.

Lance
04-20-2011, 06:08 PM
You guys' dosing sounds really complicated. :lol:

I have dosers that dose 3x a day each, and I test once a week. Manually dose once a week if needed after testing, and if I have to manually dose two weeks in a row I will increase the doser by a few minutes. If something is too high I will unplug that doser to skip a dose or two.

Before I got dosers I would manually dose calcium in the morning and alkalinity at night using equal parts. Once a week I would test, and add whatever was needed to balance out. If something was too high I would skip dosing that one for the next day or two.

I'm not following you Myka. Why is ours complicated? I basically do exactly the same as you. Dosers on timers and check levels once a week. Top up manually if required.

Myka
04-20-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm not following you Myka. Why is ours complicated? I basically do exactly the same as you. Dosers on timers and check levels once a week. Top up manually if required.

Maybe Tony just used too many words. :lol:

mark
04-20-2011, 07:15 PM
seems setting up is pretty much like the reactor, get the Ca and Alk where you want them use either system just to maintain the levels. Little adjusting at the start to match consumption rate, it's just a little tweaking to keep up with changes in growth.

lastlight
04-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Do the same as everyone else. I was usually finding due to growth that things dipped a bit between my testing so now if my numbers are ok I actually bump both alk and calcium up a little to account for growth increases between then and the next test.

spawn
04-20-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm running the GHL & happy with it, but surprised how once introduced, the corals demand very quickly increased to the point where I'm dosing 2 ml per gal.of brs recipe 1 in about 55 gal of water just to maintain 120 ml Ca & 110 ml alk are added daily. The amounts are different because I switch from salt to salt weekly for water changes causing a higher average alk addition than Ca addition, & When I get into my big build I may look at a reactor though to see if there is even less work & if it maybe cheaper in the long run.

fishytime
04-20-2011, 11:55 PM
ya you kinda need to be a mad scientist for a couple weeks while you get things dialed in, but then after that its just routine checking from time to time to see if all is still well......

I'm running the GHL & happy with it, but surprised how once introduced, the corals demand very quickly increased to the point where I'm dosing 2 ml per gal.of brs recipe 1 in about 55 gal of water just to maintain 120 ml Ca & 110 ml alk are added daily.

chugalug chugalug chugalug......happy corals are needy corals:wink:........I was going through a gallon of each of Ca and DKH (Randy"s recipe) in about three days:surprise:.......now there were some thirsty corals:lol:

spawn
04-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks for chiming in Doug. I was kinda wondering what a tank like yours in it's first glory was taking on a ml per gallon ratio? & by the way you wrote "Couples Weeks" kinda insinuates you my be away on an upcoming vacation.???:)ya you kinda need to be a mad scientist for a couples weeks while you get things dialed in, but then after that its just routine checking from time to time to see if all is still well......

chugalug chugalug chugalug......happy corals are needy corals:wink:........I was going through a gallon of each of Ca and DKH (Randy"s recipe) in about three days:surprise:.......now there were some thirsty corals:lol:

fishytime
04-21-2011, 01:16 AM
by the way you wrote "Couples Weeks" kinda insinuates you my be away on an upcoming vacation.???:)

couples weeks????.....hedonism here we come.....pack your bags baby!!!!:lol:

mark
04-21-2011, 01:56 AM
When I get into my big build I may look at a reactor though to see if there is even less work & if it maybe cheaper in the long run.

This article (http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/component/zine/article/44) puts forward reactors are cheaper bigger the system

e46er
04-21-2011, 03:35 AM
I was going through a gallon of each of Ca and DKH (Randy"s recipe) in about three days:surprise:.......now there were some thirsty corals:lol:

his receipe has like 5300 DKH in the gallon if memory serves your tank was going through that much seriously???

anyways mine last about 35 days and i seem to always have about 150 ml of calcium left when the alk is empty dont know why the dosers are the same and timing the same and levels stay constant but it works

PoonTang
04-21-2011, 05:34 AM
funnily enough tho i read that RHF doesnt dose his 2 part recipe. He uses Kalkwasser. That is also what i use for my tank and i find it even easyer than 2 part dosing.

asylumdown
04-22-2011, 07:34 AM
I found that when I was using baking soda I needed to add nearly double the amount than calcium. When I switched back to 'reef ready' stuff like Coral Grow's alk additive it went back to being nearly 50/50.

Dosing only complicated if you do it wrong and all your pumps fail from precipitation in the span of a week. oops.

spawn
04-24-2011, 01:47 AM
I'm running the GHL & happy with it, but surprised how once introduced, the corals demand very quickly increased to the point where I'm dosing 2 ml per gal.of brs recipe 1 in about 55 gal of water just to maintain 120 ml Ca & 110 ml alk are added daily. The amounts are different because I switch from salt to salt weekly for water changes causing a higher average alk addition than Ca addition, & When I get into my big build I may look at a reactor though to see if there is even less work & if it maybe cheaper in the long run.
I just did some tests for the first time since last week & the dosing levels are going up again to CA 144ml per day & Alk 138. MG is @ 1350, in the 3.5 months I've had this doser online I've had to increase the amounts fairly substantially almost every week, & I've yet to dial it back. I hope that maybe these new #'s may level it off for a while.