PDA

View Full Version : additives Help

scar_11
04-20-2011, 01:00 PM
I have been adding Calcium complete to my tank, But I was wondering what other additives that are a must for tank with out adding to much. Can someone give me a hand on what additive I should be adding? Should I get more calcium complete or is there a better additive then that?

reefermadness
04-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Alkalinity, calcium, magnesium.

Those 3 are the only important additivies you NEED. And they are listed in the order of importance (based on the quanity your tanks inhabitants will consume and thus needs to be replaced).

If you are running a FOWLR you may not need to dose anything.

scar_11
04-20-2011, 01:28 PM
thanks I am running a reef tank

mark
04-20-2011, 03:23 PM
your salt mix is to have the remaining trace elements so another reason to kept up with the water changes.

Myka
04-20-2011, 04:01 PM
How many corals do you have? If your tank is only moderately filled with corals then a good water change schedule will be enough to keep the levels up. However, most salt mixes need to be supplemented with calcium, alkalinity, and/or magnesium BEFORE you use the freshly mixed saltwater.

Personally, I don't like to use Seachem for calcium supplements as they use calcium gluconate in some of their products. You want calcium carbonate only. For smaller tanks Kent Turbo Calcium is a great product.

Take a peek at the link in my signature for information on supplementing. It lists a bunch of good products that I have had success with.

George
04-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Do tests before you add anything to your tank. Testing will reduce the chance of overdosing. Use various calculators on the net to calculate how much you need to bring a certain parameter to desired level.

scar_11
04-21-2011, 04:28 AM
So would you suggest Two Little Fishies C-Balance 2 part for calcium and alkalinity dosing

this product
http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/balance-3785-bottles-treats-57000-liters-p-683.html

e46er
04-21-2011, 04:47 AM
much cheeper
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Myka
04-21-2011, 07:53 AM
So would you suggest Two Little Fishies C-Balance 2 part for calcium and alkalinity dosing

this product
http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/balance-3785-bottles-treats-57000-liters-p-683.html

Yes, this a great product for smaller tanks or tanks with less demand. You can also use the Fauna Marin products for 2-part dosing (directions on label).

Personally, I don't like the use of "raw" chemicals like those used in homemade recipes (like Randy Holmes Farley's homemade 2-part) as I find the quality of chemicals really varies. I believe reef designed products work better and more reliably. Cheaper is not always better imo. :) I spend about $250 a year dosing Fauna Marin's "big three"...is that really that expensive? I don't think so...

scar_11
04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
I got a 90 gallon with a couple corals so I think I am going to go with the little fish c- balance

Myka
04-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Once you get your tank to appropriate levels (don't forget to buy test kits!) then start checking your waterchange water, and add calcium and/or alkalinity to it before you use it. If you don't have too many corals yet, and you just make sure the waterchange water is good you probably won't have to dose the tank. Most salt mixes aren't as complete as the manufacturers like to suggest. Instant Ocean will be low in calcium and magnesium for example.