PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating nano with a sump

asylumdown
04-19-2011, 06:43 AM
So I just broke down my 90 :cry: and am left with one tiny little 20 until the new house is done.

Of course, I'm already dreaming up ways to spend the money I'll save without the big tank.

I like the 20, and it's all I can have in this space until the new house is done, but I'm lazy and don't want to be daily diligent about testing and dosing water in such a small volume yet still want to have something with a hard skeleton in it.

I've now got a profilux auto doser sitting in a box doing nothing, and a tunze auto-top off system that is keeping a ziploc bag company, so I was thinking what better way to put them to good use then to use them on the 20... but I can't be setting up any more hack job aquariums - it would need to be a nice stand, nice glass, and no tubes, wires, or hoses dangling all over the place - this will require an in cabinet sump.

has anyone here ever played with modding a JBJ nano cube to drain to a sump? Is the glass tempered or is it drillable? I love the look of them, but there's no way to plumb an auto-top off or dosing system to it out of the box without it ruining the whole point.

Aquaria
04-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Theres a mod somewhere out there I'm to lazy to look sry bu it involves cutting holes in the Plastic in the back if I get a aio nano I'll be modding it for sure

phi delt reefer
04-19-2011, 11:33 AM
sounds like you got some cash :D - grab yourself an ELOS mini system. 20 gallons - comes with everything except a light.
http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/EO-TANK.html

or you can try a CadLights system

they all have optional oem cabinets and pre built sumps/plumbing/skimmers/ etc.

Much cleaner look and still retains a functional sump where you tinker with/upgrade the equipment

asylumdown
04-19-2011, 03:03 PM
oh those are pretty....

asylumdown
04-19-2011, 03:10 PM
hmmm, Cadlights site seems to be down

phi delt reefer
04-19-2011, 03:34 PM
there has been some concern over cadlights support due to the volume of business they are now doing so keep that in mind.

if you decide you dont need your tunze auto top off i would be more than happy to buy it of you :D (seriously :D)

sphelps
04-19-2011, 04:13 PM
The back glass on the JBJ nano cube isn't tempered and can be drilled, however the glass is pretty thin and easy to crack while drilling as it's hard to support it properly.