PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Pro Vs. NpX Biopellets

viperfish
04-19-2011, 01:42 AM
I started using biopellets when they were first introduced and at the time it was the Np Biopellets from OC that I chose. When top up time came The NpX were the latest and greatest so that's what I added. My experience with these little gems was excellent and they worked flawlessly, undetectable nitrates and phosphates. No problem getting them to tumble in my Vertex reactor with the plastic mesh mod, and all the junk was getting skimmed out, things were good.

My tank crashed about 6 months ago (another story but nothing to do with the pellets) so I decided to start over from the ground up. This time I decided to try the Vertex pellets. While they are doing the job they are intended to do, there is one huge drawback, the insane amount of mulm produced by these suckers! I have the outlet of the UF-15 close to my skimmer intake, I am using the minimum flow to give the pellets a gentle tumble, I also have the mesh mod, so nothing any different than when I was running the NpX. The Vertex pellets are quite a bit smaller than the NpX so I understand there is more surface area to do the work, but everything in my tank is getting covered in mulm. The corals love it and I am not experiencing any less PE from my SPS so it's really only the cosmetic aspect. I have to use a turkey baster to blow the slimy coating off my live rock every couple of days and my glass gets the same slimy film. My skimmer is much larger than needed for the tank, and I'm getting the dark skimmate that is typical of running pellets so that part of the system is working fine. I am getting frustrated with all the mulm in the tank and having to change the filter sock almost daily to keep up.

Anyone else have experience with the Vertex Pro pellets? I'm just wondering will it get better or should I just go back to the NpX?

The Grizz
04-19-2011, 01:53 AM
I am running the Vertex pellets in a NextReef MR1, skimmer is a Reef Octopuss 3000 RC ( good for 400 gal ). I was running the NP pellets in 2 TLF 150's to start with. Never had any problem with mulm on my corals or noticeable in the tank at all. Maybe you don't have enough water movement to keep it suspended in the water column.

chris121277
04-19-2011, 01:55 AM
Never tried them, but wanted to tag along here :biggrin:

abcha0s
04-19-2011, 02:39 AM
I had the same problem with rediculous amounts of mulm in my tank. Just as you describe it.

I never made the connection to the vertex pellets. I was actually running a mix of vertex and NP bioplellets, so I can't say for sure if it had anything to do with the vertex pellets. I was running about 1.5 liters of each for a total of about 3 liters in two UF-20 reactors.

I have stopped the use of pellets for now. I assumed that the problems were with my tank, but if it was related to the vertex pellets then I won't run them when i start back up.

I think we need a little more evidence before drawing conclusions. Has any one else tried more than one brand of pellets? Were they basically the same or were there notable differences?

I figured that they were all basically the same thing, but perhaps not?

- Brad

viperfish
04-20-2011, 01:17 AM
I have tons of flow Grizz I have even been running my MP40 in NT mode to keep the flow up and still the same. I will give it a little more time and if nothing changes I'll probably go back to NpX.

abcha0s
04-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Medhatreefguy - I alao have tons of flow in my tank. Over 100X turnover - so I don't think that's the problem.

If you do switch back, please bump this thread with an update. It will be several months before I start back with biopellets and your feedback would be valuable.

- Brad