PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Day tank and Night Tank)

silentcivilian
04-18-2011, 06:09 AM
Ok, so I realise that not everyone will happily post these details, cause we all look at our tanks for the beauty that is found in the light.. but we all know when the lights go out.. everything changes.. our fish look like members of a undead hoarde.. things start crawling out of place you didnt think they could crawl out of, and you wonder why your hand ever goes in the tank..

So im curious as to these details..

Tank Size?
120G 4x2x2

Quantity of rock?
100lbs+ -- Not sure, but its alot, I have underlying rock around my main structure to allow for extra critters to safehouse away from fish

Inches of sand bed?
Low spots 1.5" high spots 3"

Lunar Lights?
Yup, 3, left side middle and right side

Sunlight hating coral?
5 kinds of sun coral and white and purple carnations

Approx quantity of critters and types running around after lights out?
200+ little snails come out of no where all over my glass, 200+ tiny white brittle stars cover my rocks at night, 20-30 bristle worms scatter about - some small enough they live in between the bristles of my glass cleaning magnet, some are over 8" long. 8-10 of these blackish colored worms that wont leave the holes that act like vaccums, 15-20 feather dusters on the undersides of alot of my rocks, and 100+ little bugs aka pods running around..

Just want to know if I have excess.. or for what my setup is it seems on par.. I know my cleanup crew is efficent enough that I had two chromis die at some point, but I never found a scrap of fish.

Ya.. curious what everyones Mr. Hyde is like? Since we all love our Dr. Jekyll's and dont really speak of Mr. Hyde.

Funky_Fish14
04-18-2011, 06:33 AM
Definitely sounds pretty common... though i'm gonna bet that the frequency of just about anybody's '100+ little bugs aka pods running around' is more like 10 000+ for just about anyone's tank. But yeah that all sounds like a pretty common occurence! nothing to fret about anyways!

cathyg_99
04-18-2011, 04:08 PM
yeah... i choose not to look in the tank when the lights are off... i already have a big enough problem moving rocks with gloves on because i start to think about whats crawling inside and might run up my arm (stupid i know) but if i actually know whats crawling around in there at night i don't think i would ever be able to put my hand in the tank again......

es355lucille
04-18-2011, 05:54 PM
I think viewing your tank at night is a good regime for monitoring the health of your tank. I would be concerned if you don't see much happening at night.
Sounds pretty normal from everything you are saying.....keep up with the night watching! We find it fun at our house!

Cathy, my wife is the same.......she sees snorkeling in a different light now!

GMGQ
04-18-2011, 10:52 PM
I Love looking at the tank at night when the moonlights come on. Everything glows, and the 'night life' comes out to party. ;)