PDA

View Full Version : LED lighting HELP

triplejjj031
04-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Hi there I was just wondering if two 120 watt LED lights suspended 5" from the tank will be good enough to keep sps corals. My tank is 75 gallons.

nlreefguy
04-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Need more info - what type of LED light? What brand and wattage of LED's? If they are good LED's that's more than enough light in my opinion (like if they represented 120W each of cree xp LED's). I keep SPS (and have bleached some due to overexposure) with 108 watts of cree XP LED's sitting around 8" over the water on my 50 gallon and only currently turned up to about 50% of full capacity. Now 120 Watts of crappy LED's is no better than 120 Watts of any other crappy type of light as well!

triplejjj031
04-17-2011, 11:01 AM
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-54/24-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail

Is a DIY project that I am planning on doing. Hopefully its enough spread out through a 36" heatsink. They are Cree XPG R5 3 watt bulbs.

nlreefguy
04-17-2011, 12:25 PM
So you were going to get how many of these kits? If you put 240 watts of that type of LED over your tank, my opinion and my experience has been that you'd be able to keep any type of coral you like. In fact, if my experience serves, you will have to dial them back quite a bit to keep from burning everything to pieces. Anybody else have an opinion? Like I said, I have 36 of these type of LED over my 50 gallon tank right now and have had to dial them back considerably.

nlreefguy
04-17-2011, 12:42 PM
By the way, how long is your tank? If it's 48" and you're putting the LED's on a 36" heatsink that should be fine. I mean, obviously the ends of the tank won't be lit as well but for most tank layouts that's fine - it either gives less illumination in an area where you're really not growing anything or gives you a zone where you can safely grow less light-loving corals.

bowkry
04-17-2011, 02:39 PM
I just installed a aquaray marine white tile over my 29 gal biocube, It has 10 led's I am not sure what watt, but it bleached all my sps the first 4 days now the color is comming back, but to my eye the light didn't seem that bright.

monocus
04-17-2011, 04:16 PM
for that price AND $20 PLUS TAX you could get a 2' vertex illuminux from j&l-i have the last one on hold but they will bring more in.i'll be using it on a 29x18x18 breeding/frag tank

triplejjj031
04-17-2011, 05:17 PM
By the way, how long is your tank? If it's 48" and you're putting the LED's on a 36" heatsink that should be fine. I mean, obviously the ends of the tank won't be lit as well but for most tank layouts that's fine - it either gives less illumination in an area where you're really not growing anything or gives you a zone where you can safely grow less light-loving corals.

Hey ya sorry I should have specified, its a 48" tank, but I dont think there is a need for a 48" heatsink, Im just really looking for concentrated light focused in the middle, where I can keep my sps and anenomes, and keep my other less light sensitive corals to the sides.
And also ya my first post I was looking at different set of lights instead of these Cree leds, and I know having 240 watts of LED is overkill so I was just going to stick with these 24 X 3 watt so aprox. 75 watts of LED power. I think it should be good enough. For the total cost for the DIY im looking at $300 shipped.

triplejjj031
04-17-2011, 05:45 PM
for that price AND $20 PLUS TAX you could get a 2' vertex illuminux from j&l-i have the last one on hold but they will bring more in.i'll be using it on a 29x18x18 breeding/frag tank

Ya I was looking at the Illuminux, the 36" considering just buying this instead, and skipping the hassle of DIY. Will it be enough for my 48" x 18 x 20 tank, to grow sps and anemones.

nlreefguy
04-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Ya I was looking at the Illuminux, the 36" considering just buying this instead, and skipping the hassle of DIY. Will it be enough for my 48" x 18 x 20 tank, to grow sps and anemones.

Personally I feel the DIY route gives you a more flexible and customizable fixture at less cost. I don't think you will find that 24 LED's is enough, probably more like 48 to get the appropriate spread and power. I have to admit I'm not familiar with the Illuminux fixture but the previous fixtures from Vertex were way overpriced in my opinion.

triplejjj031
04-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Personally I feel the DIY route gives you a more flexible and customizable fixture at less cost. I don't think you will find that 24 LED's is enough, probably more like 48 to get the appropriate spread and power. I have to admit I'm not familiar with the Illuminux fixture but the previous fixtures from Vertex were way overpriced in my opinion.

Ya I agree, I have decided on getting 36 Cree XP series LED's (18 cool white and 18 royal blue) This will give me a 108 watt, and spreading it over 36" heat sink. This will also allow me to add more led lights to my fixture in the future if i find that it is not strong enough.

nlreefguy
04-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Ya I agree, I have decided on getting 36 Cree XP series LED's (18 cool white and 18 royal blue) This will give me a 108 watt, and spreading it over 36" heat sink. This will also allow me to add more led lights to my fixture in the future if i find that it is not strong enough.

Excellent point (and a good start). That also points out the other major strength of DIY - upgradability without replacing the entire fixture!