PDA

View Full Version : Question About T5ho Tek Light.

tony_3a
04-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Well I can not seem to find anything solid on this topic.

I am about to get new bulbs for my light, I think it has been about a year, Anyways the question I have is, I also want to replace the reflectors because they have a fair bit of stuff on them that looks like it is hurting the output, BUT i am considering getting the acrylic cover for the bulbs, so that evap wont hurt the reflectors again.

I guess what im wondering is, is there any major cons of using the acrylic cover, I have read some people saying that the bulbs get too hot therefor it negates any difference that it could of had.

Im just really up in the air, and any input would be good.

Also what do you think of my bulb combination, I like the pink look so Im thinking this will be good.

Front
Gmann Pure actinic Or UVL super actinic. (what one is better?)
KZ Fiji Purple
Gmann AquaBlue+
UVL Aqua Sun
KZ Fiji Purple Or ATI blue +
Gmann Pure Actinic. Or UVL super actinic.
Might also change a couple for the ATI blue+ Seems like a lot of people are going to those.

Anything you would change????

Also where does everyone get their bulbs from? Im probably going to go with jl, they just dont carry ati.

Thanks
Tony

Ps, Why do i see the same bulbs being called URI and UVL, I am a little confused here, Jl lists them as URI while, Grim Reaper calls them UVL, Or are they different bulbs??

cathyg_99
04-16-2011, 01:00 AM
all i can add to this is i have a 4ft 6 bulb t5 with the acrylic cover on it, they do get warm and it does raise my tank by 1C but i also have it as low as possible, they are still cooler than the coralife ones i used to have

bignose
04-16-2011, 03:01 AM
I find the lens sags with the heat but no problems otherwise.

spawn
04-16-2011, 02:48 PM
You wouldn't have to change your reflectors again next year... oh wait that's a good thing. I like your bulb combo.

RedCoralOnlineStore
04-16-2011, 02:56 PM
I love the Tek fixtures! Personally have never had a problem with heat while using the acrylic and it save the reflectors from salt corrosion! Good buy in my opinion.
We carry bulbs online as well, however do not stock ATI at this time.

tony_3a
04-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Thanks for all the input guys!!!

Only last question i would ask, would you guys suggest the Gmann actinic or the UVL, Im thinking UVL because according to Grim Reapers post on reefcenteral they have a lot more par than the Gmann???

Does the Acrylic Shield affect par at all???

thanks
Tony