PDA

View Full Version : Recommended 150W DE bulb?

Aleks
04-15-2011, 10:09 PM
I've searched google, and gotten a number of different results, but I'm looking to replace the stock 150W 14000K DE halide bulb in my nano cube with some other. I've seen people recommend Geiseman 20000K, Radium 14000K and Phoenix 14000K, but haven't actually seen any examples of these in use. I want good coloration, but not a purely actinic look, plus plenty of PAR.....I understand Phoenix is preferred, but I'm not sure 14000K is quite colored enough?

Thoughts?

smokinreefer
04-17-2011, 10:03 AM
i dont have alot of experience with the 150W DE bulbs, so take this with a grain of salt.

i replaced my stock 14k bulb with a phoenix 14k, and i like it.
its a nice color, slightly blue.

I havent tried a 20k bulb, though i was contemplating it.

FWIW, i think the phoenix 14k would be perfect with VHO actinics.
but because of my tank size, its not really doable, so i'm gonna try a panarama led strip for actinic supplementation, just to get a little more pop out of the color.

hope that helps.

Aleks
04-18-2011, 12:59 AM
i dont have alot of experience with the 150W DE bulbs, so take this with a grain of salt.

i replaced my stock 14k bulb with a phoenix 14k, and i like it.
its a nice color, slightly blue.

I havent tried a 20k bulb, though i was contemplating it.

FWIW, i think the phoenix 14k would be perfect with VHO actinics.
but because of my tank size, its not really doable, so i'm gonna try a panarama led strip for actinic supplementation, just to get a little more pop out of the color.

hope that helps.

I have no actinics, so I want a balance of coloration and decent light....Thats what I'm trying to figure out...thanks for your input

BlueTang<3
04-18-2011, 02:19 AM
I just put a radium 14k in a 250 halide and it is very yellow, I am thinking you may need to go 20 K radium or phoenix to get your spectrum.

ScubaSteve
04-18-2011, 03:28 AM
Without actinics, you'll want either 20K (with the sacrifice of growth) or a Pheonix. I've used the Pheonix 14K for a while now (with actinics and it's the cat's pajamas. Don't think I'll change bulbs again.