PDA

View Full Version : Going Dark In Refugium?

Madreefer
04-15-2011, 04:51 AM
I can't seem to grow chaeto at all. I've decided i'm going to take the lights off of my refuguim, besides it's just used to grow bugs. I dont have a sandbed in it either.Any thoughts on this? Good or bad? And I do run GFO.

cathyg_99
04-15-2011, 05:11 AM
i have the same issue so i never bothered with a light, do you have an overflow??

i took my corner overflow and threw my chateo in there with some rubble for pods, then threw some egg crate over the pipe so its not sucked down into the sump so i didnt need to buy an extra light

Madreefer
04-15-2011, 05:48 AM
Yes I have 2 of them. With 2 durso standpipes so there isnt a chance of it going in to the sump. My only concern is with the ph. I was just curious if others have run their refugiums with out a light.

abcha0s
04-15-2011, 05:43 PM
I can't seem to grow chaeto at all. I've decided i'm going to take the lights off of my refuguim, besides it's just used to grow bugs. I dont have a sandbed in it either.Any thoughts on this? Good or bad? And I do run GFO.

One thing to consider - if your using your fuge for pod production, you really do want a light. Pods eat phytoplankton which tends to be photosynthetic. If you've ever looked at a fuge with no lights, you will see very few pods.

Of course there are exceptions and other variables, but that's my experience.

- Brad

lastlight
04-15-2011, 05:51 PM
I've got rock in my dark sump for added filtration but yeah i rarely ever see pods in there. the odd bristleworm really.

Madreefer
04-15-2011, 07:33 PM
One thing to consider - if your using your fuge for pod production, you really do want a light. Pods eat phytoplankton which tends to be photosynthetic. If you've ever looked at a fuge with no lights, you will see very few pods.

Of course there are exceptions and other variables, but that's my experience.

- Brad

Thanks Brad. Thats what I wanted to hear. I'll go plug the light back in.