PDA

View Full Version : Fish Acclimization Time

Blue Ram
04-14-2011, 07:07 PM
So my yellow assessor and flame hawkfish are arriving tomorrow from Sea U Marine in Ontario. I've always had good success with acclimizing fish but I want to be extra careful with these fish. What would be an appropriate length of time over which I can transition them to my tank water. If temperature, ph and salinity are matched would that be a good indication?

Leah
04-14-2011, 07:09 PM
I would do an hour...did it with both of my assessors. :biggrin: Good luck! I love both of mine.

gobytron
04-14-2011, 07:40 PM
an hour....?

depends on your drip time and what your acclimation set up is like IMO...

Good call on the assessor...
I have 3 yellows and a blue.

Ryanst
04-14-2011, 08:19 PM
I usually go by the salinity if its close like a half hour is its way off around two hours.

gobytron
04-14-2011, 08:37 PM
There's a lot more to consider than osmotic pressure here...
salinity is only 1 of a few factors...

Ryanst
04-14-2011, 09:22 PM
There's a lot more to consider than osmotic pressure here...
salinity is only 1 of a few factors...
I know that but with most salt mixes the more you put in (increasing salinity) The more magnesium, calcium, ect increases so if the salinity is closer the rest of it should be closer too. So if my salinity is 1.025 and the fish I bought is at 1.024 everything should be closer then if the fish was at 1.021.

gobytron
04-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Most salt manufacturers dial in their macro and micro elements differently...
there is even often a difference from one batch to the next from the same manufacturer...

This I think kind of skews your logic a bit...

Ryanst
04-28-2011, 02:25 AM
Most salt manufacturers dial in their macro and micro elements differently...
there is even often a difference from one batch to the next from the same manufacturer...

This I think kind of skews your logic a bit...

Wow you sure like to make yourself seem smart. haha your comment made my day I laughed so much. lol

Most salt manufacturers try and match ocean reef water so if it is mixed properly it should be closer then if it was mixed really high or low.

This I think kind of skews your logic a bit...lol so funny.

BlueWorldAquatic
04-28-2011, 03:11 AM
Best success rate is about an hour, where the water is at least doubled.

We find an hour is optinum for survival, unless the fish are in bags longer than 48hours, then we go 2 hours.

Ken

marie
04-28-2011, 05:26 AM
Acclimating fish is probably a good thing, but I have never done it (other then matching the temp).

I float the bag for half an hour, remove the fish from the bag and place it in the quarantine tank....I have not yet lost a fish because of this and my achilles, copperband, regal angel and 2 potters angels have all had the same treatment.....