PDA

View Full Version : Orange Skunk Clownfish, Strange behavior

Wannabe
04-13-2011, 04:51 AM
I have a small orange skunk clownfish in my 10g nano. The question/ concern I have is that unless its time to eat all it does is float sideways under my aquaclear discharge. Come feeding time it swims and eats as normal and is quite active. Its shares the tank with a green chromis of about the same size. Ive had the Skunk Clown about 3 weeks now and this behavior just started over the weekend. It was previously fairly active. Any help would be appreciated.

Timbits
04-13-2011, 06:05 AM
clownfish don't swim around much most of the time they just stay hovering over one spot or whatever it's hosting. if its still eating then i wont be worried it should be fine

MMAX
04-13-2011, 01:20 PM
clownfish don't swim around much most of the time they just stay hovering over one spot or whatever it's hosting. if its still eating then i wont be worried it should be fine

I don't know if I agree with this statement. My clowns (although they aren't orange skunks) are active all day when the lights are on. My lights come on at 1pm and until then they hover near the top of the water column. I wouldn't be too concerned about your clown. They sometimes enjoy playing in the streams from power heads and return lines. He might like the outflow from your Aquaclear.

paddyob
04-13-2011, 02:20 PM
My pink skunk used to host the corner of the tank. He did the same thing. Sat in one place until feeding.

Clowns are tough. I'll have a look this weekend when I am down.

mws
04-13-2011, 03:09 PM
I would watch from the distance what green chromis does. They can be bullies in a small tanks, spatially if there is only one.
I have a friend with one chromis in a 75gal tank and no one is allowed to come out if it feels like terror.

paddyob
04-13-2011, 04:21 PM
I would watch from the distance what green chromis does. They can be bullies in a small tanks, spatially if there is only one.
I have a friend with one chromis in a 75gal tank and no one is allowed to come out if it feels like terror.

This is true, however, "most" of the time clowns can hold their own.

mws
04-13-2011, 04:40 PM
This is true, however, "most" of the time clowns can hold their own.

Not yellow skunks. I have a pair and they can't stand up to anyone. They are very mellow species in general.

paddyob
04-13-2011, 04:46 PM
my pinks were aggressive

Wannabe
04-14-2011, 04:40 AM
Hes been much more active today, still spending time under the water flow but exploring the rocks more.

dsaundry
04-14-2011, 05:01 AM
First of all I have had clowns that used to lie sideways under a hob filter..healthy as horses and ate like pigs. I wouldn't necessarily push any panic buttons yet. Is there a nem or small area for it to hide? I would also be remiss to suggest a larger tank. 30g is best for this fish as is the golden rule for a lot of clownfish. I have raised them in a 15g to a fairly large size with a nem, but have since transferred them to a 140g. Much happier. If this is a very small fish you will be fine for a while, but you might want to try a small nem in the tank as well. But plan for a bigger tank.:wink: