PDA

View Full Version : Spitting boxfish

Treebeard
04-12-2011, 09:57 PM
She has decided that spitting water over the side of the tank on to the laminate is the thing to do. Every time I come home from work it's grab a towel and wipe up the puddles around the tank. Does anybody else have a boxfish that likes to empty the tank?

globaldesigns
04-12-2011, 09:58 PM
She has decided that spitting water over the side of the tank on to the laminate is the thing to do. Every time I come home from work it's grab a towel and wipe up the puddles around the tank. Does anybody else have a boxfish that likes to empty the tank?

I think that is a trait of them... I remember one in a LFS that did that.

You need to train it to do it in a Spatoon.

hillegom
04-12-2011, 10:10 PM
maybe she doesn't like the water quality lol

Seriously though, flexing/strengthening internal muscles?

Treebeard
04-12-2011, 10:15 PM
I was thinking that there may be food underneath the lip of the tank and she is trying to squirt it out of the corner. She only does it around the edges.

ScubaSteve
04-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Ya, boxfish do thet. It's just the way they are (I've even seen one do it in the wild). I believe they do it only when they're hungry, sort of like begging/annoying the s**t out of you until you feed them. Try an autofeeder for during the day?

A lot of fish do this. My Longnose butterfly did this for for food and for fun. I'd sit on the couch next to the tank to watch TV and the fish would spit water at my head to get my attention.

Reefpins10
04-13-2011, 04:02 AM
A lot of fish do this. My Longnose butterfly did this for for food and for fun. I'd sit on the couch next to the tank to watch TV and the fish would spit water at my head to get my attention.[/quote]

That is so funny LOL !

fishoholic
04-13-2011, 01:20 PM
It is a personality trait of boxfish and puffers and apparently butterfly fish. I have an idea though, you could give the boxfish to me then you wouldn't have to worry about it :razz:

Treebeard
04-13-2011, 02:10 PM
I do use an autofeeder but this fish has an insatiable appetite. She is definitely amusing to watch.

Ya, boxfish do thet. It's just the way they are (I've even seen one do it in the wild). I believe they do it only when they're hungry, sort of like begging/annoying the s**t out of you until you feed them. Try an autofeeder for during the day?

A lot of fish do this. My Longnose butterfly did this for for food and for fun. I'd sit on the couch next to the tank to watch TV and the fish would spit water at my head to get my attention.

Treebeard
04-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Ha! Thanks for the offer Laurie, but Boxy has been swimming happily around our tank for 3 years. She is a real character, always swimming around my hands when I am working in the tank and sometimes nibbling on my fingers (ouch).

It is a personality trait of boxfish and puffers and apparently butterfly fish. I have an idea though, you could give the boxfish to me then you wouldn't have to worry about it :razz:

silentcivilian
04-18-2011, 06:19 AM
Elite for the longest time had a Boxfish in a pond setup that I never actually saw swim under the water.. it spent most of its time above water spitting.. so I am going with they just enjoy spitting

Oxymoron
04-18-2011, 06:35 AM
I used to have a valentini puffer that I would feed by hand, sometimes when holding a chunk of food above the waterline he would spit a stream of water at it, I swear he was trying to knock it out of my hand....

larishowen
04-26-2011, 03:07 PM
I think that the water is not fresh.I mean the water quality is not good.It may contain the algae inside.If you have a pH of water then it would be better for fish.

MKLKT
04-26-2011, 03:35 PM
I think that the water is not fresh.I mean the water quality is not good.It may contain the algae inside.If you have a pH of water then it would be better for fish.

Your comment is confusing but if you mean a neutral pH then that's not correct for marine fish, it's supposed to be slightly alkaline.