PDA

View Full Version : WTH anemone fine then almost dead or is it about to split?????

fishoholic
04-11-2011, 03:03 AM
My anemone was huge and full awhile ago now it looks almost dead. I don't get it. The only thing I can think of is maybe it's getting ready to split or maybe it ate the little piece of torch coral I saw floating around the tank earlier????

Any ideas? will post pic.'s soon

fishoholic
04-11-2011, 03:13 AM
Before
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/doug/P4020929.jpg

Now
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/doug/P4100948.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/doug/P4100952.jpg

Wayne
04-11-2011, 03:18 AM
My bubble tips do that... And then they inflate back up... I thought it was normal

es355lucille
04-11-2011, 03:46 AM
Laurie, mine does this all the time and the clowns don't know what to do. Not saything that yours is doing the same. Did you just do a water change? Thats when I notice mine the most......I thought it was the anemone just changing its water as well. Then it will be fairly stable for the next few weeks, but can do this off and on quite often.

My 2 cents.

B

ensquire
04-11-2011, 03:48 AM
I am having the exact same issue , 2 have disapeared on me. Do you see any problems on the foot. My one remaining LTA has a lesion on the foot and I am unsure if it's a pest or something else..

fishoholic
04-11-2011, 03:49 AM
My GBTA did that when I first got it and maybe once in a blue moon it would look a little bit more shriveled (like after I fed it a silverside) but it was over a few hours. I've never seen my RBTA shrivel up, and I've never seen an anemone go from being fine to literally almost totally shriveled up in a matter of minutes.

My RBTA is normally the size of a grapefruit, when I noticed it didn't look right it was about the size of an orange and as I watched it, it shrunk rapidly to the size of a walnut, which is where it's at right now. It was shocking to watch it shrink right before my eyes.

RedCoralOnlineStore
04-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Looks fine Laurie, Pooping or splitting likely the first... Should be fine tomorrow! Mine do it all the time, doesnt look like there is any "melting" tissue from the pic so probably not a prob!

fishoholic
04-11-2011, 03:51 AM
Laurie, mine does this all the time and the clowns don't know what to do. Not saything that yours is doing the same. Did you just do a water change? Thats when I notice mine the most......I thought it was the anemone just changing its water as well. Then it will be fairly stable for the next few weeks, but can do this off and on quite often.

My 2 cents.

B

It's never shrunk before and it's been a week since my last water change, I'm mixing water right now to do my next water change tomorrow. I did feed it a piece of krill 2 days ago so maybe that has something to do with it.

fishoholic
04-11-2011, 03:57 AM
I am having the exact same issue , 2 have disapeared on me. Do you see any problems on the foot. My one remaining LTA has a lesion on the foot and I am unsure if it's a pest or something else..

The anemone is shriveled right up against the foot and the foot is attached to the under side of a rock so I can't tell if there is anything wrong with the foot or not.

Looks fine Laurie, Pooping or splitting likely the first... Should be fine tomorrow! Mine do it all the time, doesnt look like there is any "melting" tissue from the pic so probably not a prob!

I did see a little bit of brown stringy stuff come out of the anemone, but I wasn't sure what it was. When I went to take a closer look the stringy stuff floated away and was gone.

cathyg_99
04-11-2011, 04:21 AM
mines been doing this all month, just try to feed him when hes ballooned back up as long as hes eating hes fine

Nebthet
04-11-2011, 04:25 AM
I did see a little bit of brown stringy stuff come out of the anemone, but I wasn't sure what it was. When I went to take a closer look the stringy stuff floated away and was gone.

That would be the anemone's poo. No worries Laurie.. your rbta should be fine in a couple of hours. It more than likely does this more often than you think, but probably when the lights are off on the tank at night.

BlueTang<3
04-11-2011, 04:31 AM
How is the magnesium level Laurie mine used to do that before dosing mg i almost bet you it will be around 1100.

fishoholic
04-11-2011, 04:33 AM
That would be the anemone's poo. No worries Laurie.. your rbta should be fine in a couple of hours. It more than likely does this more often than you think, but probably when the lights are off on the tank at night.

You're probably right, just freaked me out seeing it suddenly shrink up. All I could think of was "Oh $**t my anemone ate that piece of floating torch coral and now it's dying!"

mws
04-11-2011, 04:43 AM
+1 on pooping. A feed all of mine at the same time and all of them will have to go at the same time 2 days after. One side of the tank will look empty for a few hours. My rbta is about 20" and when it's pooping it's completely disappears in a rock work.

fishoholic
04-11-2011, 04:48 AM
How is the magnesium level Laurie mine used to do that before dosing mg i almost bet you it will be around 1100.

I have no idea, I never check mg and I don't dose it.

+1 on pooping. A feed all of mine at the same time and all of them will have to go at the same time 2 days after. One side of the tank will look empty for a few hours. My rbta is about 20" and when it's pooping it's completely disappears in a rock work.

Good to know, I've never fed it a piece of krill before (which I did 2 days ago) so it makes sense that now it's pooping it out.

fishoholic
04-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Just checked on the anemone before heading to bed and I have to say it's perked up a bit. Still fairly shriveled but not as bad as it was. Guessing it pooped and I freaked out for nothing :redface:

Geez it should of just told me it was taking a dump :lol:

Lance
04-11-2011, 05:19 AM
Not to worry Laurie. It looks fine. BTA's, for whatever reason do this periodically. Mine is about 16" across and can totally disappear in the rocks. First time it did that I had a hell of a time finding it again. :mrgreen:

Lance
04-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Oops, sorry mws. I posted before I read yours. Said the same thing. My bad. :redface:

BlueWorldAquatic
04-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Feed it silversides, and watch him really perk up

intarsiabox
04-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Mine has ended up being stuck to the walls of a Koralia 3 for an entire day twice now and looked much worse than yours. After I pulled it out of the slots I stuck it in a low flow area of the tank and it was as good as new the next day. It has now stayed in one spot for about a month now so I'm hoping its roaming days are over.

es355lucille
04-12-2011, 04:14 AM
LOL, mine too. It has not moved for quite some time.....but there for a while it had a hair stylist called MP40. I came home from being on the road and its tenticles were really short on one side.....give it a week and it looks like new! Mine is a real trooper.....tough as nails.

Mine has ended up being stuck to the walls of a Koralia 3 for an entire day twice now and looked much worse than yours. After I pulled it out of the slots I stuck it in a low flow area of the tank and it was as good as new the next day. It has now stayed in one spot for about a month now so I'm hoping its roaming days are over.

fishoholic
04-12-2011, 04:28 AM
Just thought I'd let everyone know that my RBTA looks totally fine today.