PDA

View Full Version : Another clam bites the dust %&*@

hound96
04-10-2011, 05:15 PM
i don't know what the hell but i just lost another baby clam thats it for me never buying another clam under 6" my water is excelent and i do everything necesary to keep a small one alive but yet this crap happens

naesco
04-10-2011, 05:33 PM
i don't know what the hell but i just lost another baby clam that's it for me never buying another clam under 6" my water is excellent and i do everything necessary to keep a small one alive but yet this crap happens

The clam you bought likely starved to death because it is very difficult to get enough food into them to sustain life when they are tiny.

That is why it is recommended to buy a minimum 3 inch size clam.

whatcaneyedo
04-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Are you looking for advice or just making a statement? I recently lost all of the clams that I've accumulated over the last 5 years too.

The Grizz
04-10-2011, 05:42 PM
I have one baby squamosa left ( at least I think it's a squamosa :lol: ) and it seems to be doing very well. Have not bought any more clams as the wife said NO WAY ARE YOU PAYING $$$ FOR THEM TO JUST DIE after we lost so many awhile back.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/Corals%20and%20Fish/70e3e6e4.png

paddyob
04-10-2011, 05:49 PM
I have one baby squamosa left ( at least I think it's a squamosa :lol: ) and it seems to be doing very well. Have not bought any more clams as the wife said NO WAY ARE YOU PAYING $$$ FOR THEM TO JUST DIE after we lost so many awhile back.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/Corals%20and%20Fish/70e3e6e4.png

NICE CLAM GREG!!!

Tiny is right. Better be careful those palys don't eat it! Haha!

hound96
04-10-2011, 08:29 PM
statement i lost all mine recently too but as far as feeding goes i do the feeding for clams pluss they get to filter the juice from my mysis shrimp i know it wasnt starving it was perfect at 10pm last night and dead and melted right sdown at 10 am rthis morning

christyf5
04-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I try not to buy any clams under 3" as I have zero success with anything smaller. I spoke with James Fatheree and he is of a mind that any clam over 1" doesn't need to be target fed as their mantle is big enough to support photosynthesis. I still havent had any long term success with them past a few months.

FWIW, its likely that your clam was doing poorly well before it actually died. For some reason its business as usual right up until the end, then poof gone overnight.

ponokareefer
04-10-2011, 09:51 PM
I try not to buy any clams under 3" as I have zero success with anything smaller. I spoke with James Fatheree and he is of a mind that any clam over 1" doesn't need to be target fed as their mantle is big enough to support photosynthesis. I still havent had any long term success with them past a few months.

FWIW, its likely that your clam was doing poorly well before it actually died. For some reason its business as usual right up until the end, then poof gone overnight.

This is exactly how a baby maxima and baby crocea went on me. I did manage to grow out a very small crocea for over a year though.