PDA

View Full Version : LED Patent status?

banditpowdercoat
04-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Has there been any new info on Orbitec's patent on LED's?? I might be onto something here, but need to corfirm the Paten't won't come bite me in the arse.

Has anyone got any more updated info? I know Vertex is producing lights and a couple other companies. How are they doing it?

Thx in advance

abcha0s
04-10-2011, 05:15 PM
The patent is only valid in the US. AI is paying royalties to Orbitech. This is why Vertex Illumina does not sell directly into the US market. The patent does not apply in Canada; however, most successful Canadian businesses would be hurt by not having access to the US market.

I can't say for sure, but the rumor is that the patent only applies to dimmable LED setups. This is why Marine Land setups are exempt. You also see other LED manufactures selling directly into the US like Orphex, but again - not dimmable.

There are ways around the patent, but that's up to you to figure out.

AFAIK - at the moment, the patent stands. It costs a lot of money to fight a patent and the market isn't really big enough to justify the cost - yet. To be successful, all of the manufactures would probably need to pool their resources and fight it together.

- Brad

banditpowdercoat
04-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Thx Brad, that is good to know about only US. There are ways around that, I know. As well, I think I found another specifics about their patent that will easilly be worked around but I don't want to divulge untill I have mine under way.

My plan is in it's infancy right now, but hopefully not for long. :D

Slick Fork
04-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Talk to a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property before you commit to investing a ton of time and money into whatever it is you're up to. The risk of not doing so would far outweigh whatever they bill for an initial consultation.

Ian
04-11-2011, 04:50 AM
I know a lawyer in California who practices international patent law ..pm me if you want the name and number