PDA

View Full Version : Effin Ich!

MarkoD
04-10-2011, 02:43 PM
tank has been fine for the past 2 weeks and on friday i put in a montipora and i look at my fish today and they're starting to show signs of ich!

how the heck is this even possible? havent added a single fish in over a week and a half.

perimeters are all looking good

ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: less than 5 ppm

BlueTang<3
04-10-2011, 03:17 PM
There are a lot of possibilities,

Where did you buy your fish from?
Placing the coral in the tank stressed the fish
The fish are fighting with each other.

What fish of yours is showing ich? What are you feeding, hows your water quality?

MarkoD
04-10-2011, 03:29 PM
There are a lot of possibilities,

Where did you buy your fish from?
Placing the coral in the tank stressed the fish
The fish are fighting with each other.

What fish of yours is showing ich? What are you feeding, hows your water quality?

all but 2 of the fish were transfered from my 55 gallon tank 2 weeks ago. the 2 new fish i bought were from big als (and ironically they're not showing signs of ich)

i placed the coral in the top 6" of the tank, my hand was in there literally 5 seconds.

none of the fish have been fighting, they've gotten along in the old smaller tank and in this one too.

fish showing signs of ich:

Clown tang(the most, was extremely active until last night, now he's hiding in one spot only coming out to eat)

Harlequin spotted sweetlips (showing spots on front of body and on eyes, acting completely normal, eating like crazy as usual)

Foxface rabbitfish (showing maybe 10 white spots, eating and acting normally, all yellow, doesnt seem to be stressed)

fish that seem to be showing no symptoms : copperband butterfly, 2 clowns, algae blenny and coral beauty

Im feeding a mixture of mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, formula 2 pellets, NLS pellets.

what do you mean water quality? water is clear, skimmer is pulling out dark green skimmate, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate below 5ppm

BlueTang<3
04-10-2011, 03:39 PM
I have seen that just upgraded from a 55 to a 180, maybe it just not enough water changes to keep the water quality up. Happened to me when i went from a 30 to 180. I was so used to doing little water changes and i started noticing a few spots.

Do you feed/unthaw food with garlic? Nls have some therapeutic pellets that i like to feed when i notice anything. I have 8 tangs and most are thought of to be harder ones to keep, I notice specs come and go sometimes. It not that big of a deal unless it turns major. Some people say bump up temp and or lower salinity. But I usually just do a bigger water change out of the sump so the fish dont even know it happened. Feed a little more often(3 or 4 times throughout) the day till you notice its gone. You may want to also pick up some selcon or other type of vitamins.

MarkoD
04-10-2011, 03:44 PM
thanks for the advice.

I keep my tank at 26ºC and my salinity at 1.022 (could this be the problem?)

i havent done a water change yet since the tank was only set up 2 weeks ago.

but i will do one today.

MarkoD
04-10-2011, 04:12 PM
ok i also took some garlic and blended it with some RO water and im letting my food thaw in the garlic.

gonna try feeding that. but im pretty sure the pellets i feed have garlic in them already.

i just hope my fish dont all die. just spend so much money on this tank and it would be extremely discouraging if all my fish just died off the bat.

naesco
04-10-2011, 04:59 PM
ok i also took some garlic and blended it with some RO water and im letting my food thaw in the garlic.

gonna try feeding that. but im pretty sure the pellets i feed have garlic in them already.

i just hope my fish dont all die. just spend so much money on this tank and it would be extremely discouraging if all my fish just died off the bat.

Mark I do not think that is going to do it.

What you need to do today is go to the LFS and buy some garlic extreme or from a health food store garlic extract. Use dry food as it absorbs more garlic and the idea is to to put as much garlic into the fish as possible.
Feed only garlic soaked food and feed very often.

MarkoD
04-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the advice. Just fed my fish..... The tang even ate whole pieces of garlic.but I'll be making a trip to the lfs at noon when they open. I'm gonna buy a new bulb for my sterilizer as well

hound96
04-15-2011, 02:42 AM
i did garlic myself and dosed reef solution and that worked for me

daniella3d
04-15-2011, 02:51 AM
Maybe you should read about the ich cycle. It's 3 weeks or less, and sometime more so yeah...a week and a half sounds about right to have an ick burst with all the stress and all. No quarantine is another thing that makes it not only possible but really likely.

tank has been fine for the past 2 weeks and on friday i put in a montipora and i look at my fish today and they're starting to show signs of ich!

how the heck is this even possible? havent added a single fish in over a week and a half.

perimeters are all looking good

ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: less than 5 ppm

Madreefer
04-15-2011, 04:43 AM
I'm on board with the other guys on the garlic extreme. I don't care what anybody says. It works good for my fish. Supposedly it gets in their skin and ich dont like it.