PDA

View Full Version : Multiple female flasher wrasse's

ponokareefer
04-08-2011, 04:06 PM
I typically only see the odd male at LFS's in Edmonton or Calgary. Has anyone seen LFS's bring in multiple female flasher wrasse's in? I am looking at getting a harem and letting them sort out who will become the male. I am looking at getting 4 or 5 at the same time. As per kind, as they have red in them, which most do, I am happy.

LFS's please feel free to chime in or send me a PM.

Myka
04-08-2011, 04:18 PM
I got a couple female McCosker's from Kelly at The Reef Shoppe.

ponokareefer
04-08-2011, 04:19 PM
I got a couple female McCosker's from Kelly at The Reef Shoppe.

Did he have more in at the time, or just the 2?

Also, has one female turned into a male yet?

RedCoralOnlineStore
04-08-2011, 05:14 PM
We can special order females in for you. There are a few different wrasses to choose from where they specify female versus male on the order list.

ponokareefer
04-08-2011, 06:58 PM
We can special order females in for you. There are a few different wrasses to choose from where they specify female versus male on the order list.

PM sent

Myka
04-08-2011, 07:49 PM

I'm not sure, he held them for me. I got them at different times. I have one super male, one sub-dominant male, and one female. That's fairly typical of a trio, and you get less bickering if you can pick them out this way so they don't have to sort it out for themselves.

naesco
04-09-2011, 01:48 AM

Like Red Coral posted simply ask them to order them for you from their supplier five female and two males of the flasher wrasse species you like. It may take a few weeks to get in as the fishermen will have to go in and catch them for you. Females are common but rarely brought in.

The reason for two males is that that they will flash more as they are trying to impress the ladies.

They can be be jumpers so take steps to cover your tank. Any mid-level food like cyclopese is a good choice.

ponokareefer
04-09-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure, he held them for me. I got them at different times. I have one super male, one sub-dominant male, and one female. That's fairly typical of a trio, and you get less bickering if you can pick them out this way so they don't have to sort it out for themselves.

How long have you had the trio together now? My main goal is to have a super male stay super and from what I've read, if you just get one male, his colors will diminish over time.

ponokareefer
04-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Has anyone else been able to keep a super male, "super" for over a year?

Myka
04-11-2011, 04:36 PM
How long have you had the trio together now? My main goal is to have a super male stay super and from what I've read, if you just get one male, his colors will diminish over time.

I think having a sub-dominant male (mild male coloring, female sized) helps to keep the Super male super. I've only had my trio for a few months.

ponokareefer
04-11-2011, 05:49 PM
I think having a sub-dominant male (mild male coloring, female sized) helps to keep the Super male super. I've only had my trio for a few months.

If I got one super male and 3 females, I wonder if one female might turn into a sub male?

Myka
04-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Sub males are usually pretty easy to get a hold of. More common than females. You might get two super males that will fight all the time for the remaining two females. In my trio my super male flashes lots at the female mostly. The sub male is mostly ignored. I like my trio, I don't think adding another female to the mix would do any good.