PDA

View Full Version : Fish Suggestions

Blue Ram
04-07-2011, 06:48 PM
I'd like to add 1, maybe 2 more fish to my 120 gal reef tank. Current occupants are 3 clowns, 2 cardinals, 1 scopas tang and 1 mandarinfish. Tank has lots of softies and some SPS and 1 clam.
Lots of swimming room in the tank as it is not full top to bottom with live rock. Looking for some suggestions for a couple of fish that would really "light up" the tank or have that "wow" impression.

ponokareefer
04-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Do you have a cover over your top, or is it open?

Blue Ram
04-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Tank has open top. Would like to have a purple firefish but have been advised against it due to its tendency to jump out of tanks.

toytech
04-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Get some netting make a cover and get some wrasses . My yellow corris and Lubbock's fairy wrasse are the best fish i have , there both supper active very peacefully and have great colors ,plus there relatively cheap fish to boot .

ponokareefer
04-07-2011, 10:38 PM
You were told right about the firefish. Wrasse's are the same.

My yellow tang is super bright and always out, but with there already being a scopas tang, there is the potential for fighting.

A group of 4 female lyretail anthias are extremely colorfull, and one would likely turn into a male. They can jump, but are not known for being jumpers like wrasse's are.

If you don't have any shrimp or intention of getting any, a flame or longnose hawkfish is something that is very different and could bring the wow factor you are looking for. Flames are very bright.

Leah
04-07-2011, 10:53 PM
I love my Lyretails... colorful and easy to keep

intarsiabox
04-08-2011, 02:04 AM
I really like my one spot foxface. Very active, very docile towards all other fish and nobody messes with him.

ponokareefer
04-08-2011, 02:04 PM
If you have a sand bed, convict blenny's are an option as well. People always comment on mine when they see my tank. They come out when I come around as they think I am going to feed them. You can get them singly, in pairs or groups. They are cheap, mild mannered, and very disease resistant. Very much like an eel, but not escape artists and don't eat fish/inverts. Here is a picture of a group of them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cas_docents/4533122789/

gobytron
04-08-2011, 02:05 PM
get an assessor.
yellow or blue, your choice...:smile:

Blue Ram
04-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks everyone. I will look into all the fish you have suggested.

larishowen
04-26-2011, 03:35 PM
I think you should buy the fish of koi.They are very beautiful and having very happy to your heart.I always have it on my own fish pond. They are with many colors. I used to like to add some other fish.

MKLKT
04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Thread's a little old, but my absolute favourite fish is my starry/snowflake blenny. Wicked personality and colour. (And the 'eyebrow' tufts are awesome.)

Blue Ram
05-05-2011, 06:09 PM
A flame hawkfish has now been added to the tank and I really like watching its behaviour. Unfortunately both accessors I ordered from Ontario arrived DOA. The first was yellow and I received a full credit and then I tried a blue. It did not survive the shipping.
I do have some lyretail anthias (3 females/1male) being quarantined in Edmonton which I hope to receive shortly.
I have an $85 credit with SeaUMarine to use and I'm stumped on what I could add to the livestock to use the credit.
Any suggestions? Tank is well stocked with coral so I was thinking of fish.

ponokareefer
05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Thread's a little old, but my absolute favourite fish is my starry/snowflake blenny. Wicked personality and colour. (And the 'eyebrow' tufts are awesome.)

I added one of these a little while back and and surprised at how much it is out and swimming around. They are very interesting looking and have a nice behavior.

MMAX
05-06-2011, 02:00 AM
I think you should buy the fish of koi.They are very beautiful and having very happy to your heart.I always have it on my own fish pond. They are with many colors. I used to like to add some other fish.

WTF????

dynamite
05-06-2011, 03:45 AM
WTF????

+1 HAHAHAHAHAHA :mrgreen:

apex82
05-06-2011, 06:04 AM
Australian harlequin tuskfish if you dont mind losing your shrimp, crabs and possibly snails. Mine is the most beautiful fish I have ever seen.