PDA

View Full Version : clean up crew vendor?

dunl
04-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Do any Alberta vendors sell clean up crews, instead of just individual invertebrates?

Thanks.

Myka
04-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Are you concerned about picking the right combination and numbers? Or are you looking for a discount on numbers? Most vendors will offer a discount on a sizable cleanup crew. DIY cleanup crews are better imo, but I'm picky about what I put in my tank. Most vendor created cleanup crews will include both hermits and snails which is like putting pedophiles in an elementary school. :eek: Not to mention they will sell you a 50 gallon cleanup crew that is really sized for a 300 gallon tank! More :eek: !

Frozenocean
04-07-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm going to piggyback on this thread......cleanup crew.....anyone have a good rule of thumb for types and numbers per gallon for detritus??

dunl
04-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Are you concerned about picking the right combination and numbers? Or are you looking for a discount on numbers?

Either/or.

Just looking at the price of some things for $2 or $3 each, but then online some crews have a lot more in them for $50 or so....

dunl
04-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I should also clarify...as it is for my classroom tank, budget is a real concern. I mean, yeah, I do enjoy having the tank in the class, but I'm not planning to stock it with as much high end stuff as I can find. lol

Myka
04-07-2011, 08:45 PM
If this is for your 85 gallon tank you referred to in another post I can tell you what's working in my 90 gallon reef, and that will give you a good basis to go on. Be aware that hermit crabs are opportunistic, and if they are hungry they will eat snails.

So in my 90 gallon reef I have:

1 black Brittle starfish (one of the few easy to keep species, it is nocturnal though so I rarely see it)
2 Fighting conch (great for sand bed & detritus)
1 Hector's Goby (small sand sifting fish that doesn't make a big mess like some others)
3 Astraea snails
4 Ring Cowries
2 Emerald crabs

Asterina starfish and Stomatella snails breed freely in the tank too.

MMAX
04-07-2011, 10:46 PM
If this is for your 85 gallon tank you referred to in another post I can tell you what's working in my 90 gallon reef, and that will give you a good basis to go on. Be aware that hermit crabs are opportunistic, and if they are hungry they will eat snails.

So in my 90 gallon reef I have:

1 black Brittle starfish (one of the few easy to keep species, it is nocturnal though so I rarely see it)
2 Fighting conch (great for sand bed & detritus)
1 Hector's Goby (small sand sifting fish that doesn't make a big mess like some others)
3 Astraea snails
4 Ring Cowries
2 Emerald crabs

Asterina starfish and Stomatella snails breed freely in the tank too.

No problems with your emerald crabs eating your corals?

reeferious
04-07-2011, 11:18 PM
if you want real cheap and reliable pricing for cleanup crew go on ebay order from direct source in florida you know like blue leg hermits for 15 cents each, snails for not much more and different sea weeds etc. did this few times whenever i run low on cleanup crews. sorry i dont remember source name just go into ebay aquarium section you'll find it. shipment will be shipped to you as aquarium supplies.

Myka
04-08-2011, 02:34 AM
No problems with your emerald crabs eating your corals?

No, never had troubles with that in 18 years. They will catch small fish if they get big. I just catch them when they get too big and find a home for them with big fish.