PDA

View Full Version : Vortex diatom filter

chewie
04-06-2011, 03:57 PM
I am thinking about getting a vortex diatom filter to polish my water once a week or so. Has anyone used one on their reef tank? I know the are great at filtering water (down to 1 micron) and making water crystal clear. I am thinking they may be to good though, removing benifitial filter feeder food, ie phytoplancton. Any one use one?

Mrfish55
04-07-2011, 01:30 AM
Been using mine on a regular basis for over 20 years, have an extension with a piece of rigid tubing on the end I use for vacuuming the sump out as well. Buy yourself a bag of powder from a pool supply store, will last forever and is much cheaper, you can also get powdered carbon ( I used to get it from the local dry cleaner ) works great but you have to run the diatom in a small container till it runs clear as you don't want to flood your system with it. Periodic use will not have any adverse effects, they also work great on a quarantine tank.

es355lucille
04-07-2011, 02:47 AM
Interesting, never seem one before. :popcorn:

MrFish55 - can you explain the powder?

Mrfish55
04-07-2011, 05:18 AM
The powder is the skeletal remains of a diatom, extremely small and very pourus, works great to filter out the smallest of particles. Vortex has been building the Diatom filter for as long as I have been keeping fish (System 1 used to build a hang on unit but it was not as effective)

chewie
04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
I have heard that the powder is very bad for your lungs though so you have to be careful not to inhale it. I am not sure if I will get the vortex (it is used) or go for a new magnum 350 canister which is supposed to do the same thing (using a filter cartrage) as well as being a regular canister filter. You just change out the media baskets for the water scrubber cartrage.

Zarstar
04-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Is this powder diatomaceaus earth? this is used as an insect killer and its "chemical composition of diatomaceous earth is 86% silicon, 5% sodium, 3% magnesium and 2% iron" (some random internet minerals source).

Seems like an unecessary risk to put a substance, although seemingly inert, into your tank that is primarily silicon. We all know silica/silicon causes diatom growth so why add nutrients specific to grow the organism you are trying to get rid of...?

If you have a diatom problem there are many other solutions (ie: cleaner organisms to stir sand, silica removing resins, various mechanical filters that dont use silica, UV)

If your issue is water clarity try to improve the efficiency of your filtration system by cleaning it, adding a micron mesh bag to the sump return, and regularly cleaning sponge filters.

zar

Borderjumper
04-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Is this powder diatomaceaus earth? this is used as an insect killer and its "chemical composition of diatomaceous earth is 86% silicon, 5% sodium, 3% magnesium and 2% iron" (some random internet minerals source).

Seems like an unecessary risk to put a substance, although seemingly inert, into your tank that is primarily silicon. We all know silica/silicon causes diatom growth so why add nutrients specific to grow the organism you are trying to get rid of...?

If you have a diatom problem there are many other solutions (ie: cleaner organisms to stir sand, silica removing resins, various mechanical filters that dont use silica, UV)

If your issue is water clarity try to improve the efficiency of your filtration system by cleaning it, adding a micron mesh bag to the sump return, and

regularly cleaning sponge filters.

zar

Your not really adding the diatom powder to your tank, it coats a filter bag inside the filter, and the water passes thru the diatom powder, which catches and holds all the microscopic nasties.

I've had one for years.. Yes it's a PITA to start, but nothing ive ever used will clean and polish the water like this does. They are not meant for continuous use, only for occasional water polishing.

You do have to handle the powder with care and not inhale the dust, as it wild be like breathing microscopic glass shards. Kinda like asbestos.

Lance
04-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Been using mine on a regular basis for over 20 years, have an extension with a piece of rigid tubing on the end I use for vacuuming the sump out as well. Buy yourself a bag of powder from a pool supply store, will last forever and is much cheaper, you can also get powdered carbon ( I used to get it from the local dry cleaner ) works great but you have to run the diatom in a small container till it runs clear as you don't want to flood your system with it. Periodic use will not have any adverse effects, they also work great on a quarantine tank.

+1 Best water polisher on the market. Had mine from way back in my FW days. I put an extension on the output line so I can maneuver it around to blow detritus up into the water column and thus get filtered out.

lastlight
04-07-2011, 10:03 PM
So in the process of coating the filter bag none of this stuff enters the tank? With it being so incredibly fine it's hard to believe none escapes.

I have worked with it as I worked at a kids camp for a few summer and helped care for the pool. There was a large DE slurry tank and you'd send some into the filter drum and then turn the drum. I never fully understood the setup I just followed the instructions lol.

globaldesigns
04-07-2011, 10:04 PM
I have used these, even back when I was a kid with fresh water.

I bought one about a year ago, it broke, motor seized after a couple uses... Exchanged it and the second did the same. They are a piece of junk now compared to the old models.

They do a great job, when they work, I just think the quality of build is garbage now. Maybe you can find a better model? If so, let us all know.

Lance
04-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I have used these, even back when I was a kid with fresh water.

I bought one about a year ago, it broke, motor seized after a couple uses... Exchanged it and the second did the same. They are a piece of junk now compared to the old models.

They do a great job, when they work, I just think the quality of build is garbage now. Maybe you can find a better model? If so, let us all know.

I don't know about the newer models. Mine is an old timer and never a problem with it. I make sure I always run some FW through it though. I can see SW seizing it up.