PDA

View Full Version : Mixing drum question

Money pit
04-06-2011, 03:43 AM
I'm looking for a drum/container to mix my salt water in. I can get a 30gal blue poly drum for cheap. But the only problem is that it had fluorsilicic chloride ( fluoride ) in it. Its been triple washed, but still I think there is probably some left in the pores of the drum that will leach out over time.
Does anyone know what impact fluoride would have on a mixed reef tank ?

cathyg_99
04-06-2011, 05:24 AM
I'm looking for a drum/container to mix my salt water in. I can get a 30gal blue poly drum for cheap. But the only problem is that it had fluorsilicic chloride ( fluoride ) in it. Its been triple washed, but still I think there is probably some left in the pores of the drum that will leach out over time.
Does anyone know what impact fluoride would have on a mixed reef tank ?

if its only 30g, why not go to homedepot and get a 26g garbage pail like i did? it cost me $20

pyke
04-06-2011, 05:44 AM
+1 for this idea, washed or not your playing with fire for 30G. I bought my 45G Foodgrade mix bucket for 80 bucks new. The brute Garbage cans work great.

if its only 30g, why not go to homedepot and get a 26g garbage pail like i did? it cost me $20

Money pit
04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
I used to use a brute garbage can, but I always had about 5 ppm nitrate in my water from it. So I'm looking at options. I like to make up my new water about a week in advance incase of an emergency, but the down side is its a week that stuff can leach out of the container. The one that had fluoride in it is the same drum as the food grade container that I was also quoted $80 for.
Which is what lead me to wondering if it's usable.
Garbage pail is a good idea, if I can find on that isn't plastic. Plastic leaches, Bis phenol A. its estrogenic to us, so I would think it wouldn't be too healthy to the fish or coral. Maybe thats what was causing the nitrates in my old mixing drum, not sure really, just a thought.

Aquattro
04-06-2011, 01:46 PM
I used a brute can for years, no nitrates whatsoever. The can won't add NO3.
For the new tub you have, fill it with heated RO for a week or two, drain it and use. Any noticeable trace of fluoride will leach into the RO, and anything left is not worth worrying about. Lots of people use tap water with fluoride in it, worst case, fish will have healthier teeth.

pyke
04-06-2011, 04:41 PM
I used to use a brute garbage can, but I always had about 5 ppm nitrate in my water from it. So I'm looking at options. I like to make up my new water about a week in advance incase of an emergency, but the down side is its a week that stuff can leach out of the container. The one that had fluoride in it is the same drum as the food grade container that I was also quoted $80 for.
Which is what lead me to wondering if it's usable.
Garbage pail is a good idea, if I can find on that isn't plastic. Plastic leaches, Bis phenol A. its estrogenic to us, so I would think it wouldn't be too healthy to the fish or coral. Maybe thats what was causing the nitrates in my old mixing drum, not sure really, just a thought.

check out http://calgaryplastic.ca/Water%20Storage.htm

Money pit
04-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Brad, thanks for the tip on leaving water in it for a week, hadn't thought of that. May be I can get the fish to smile for the camera.
Pyke, thanks for the link, I'd been meaning to swing by Calgary plastic to check out what they had, but haven't had the time yet.