PDA

View Full Version : Need help to reduce pump vibration through plumbing

Sunee
04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi. I am just working on setting up my new system and am getting alot of pump vibration through my plumbing from the pump. The noise is way to loud for the living room. If I hold the pipe there is a noticeable vibration and drop in the noise. Hoping I can get some advice on how to quiet it down.

I have a Tunze silence 1073.40 set at the lowest setting as I wanted less than 300 gph through the system (aquarium is 30x27x18"high - 60ish gallons). It is hooked up as follows:

pump (with rubber feet resting on some closed cell foam) - MPT/slip fitting - about 6" of 3/4" PVC - union - 90 elbow - approx 8" PVC - ball valve - union ......

I have read that replacing some of the hard PVC with spa flex will reduce the vibration. If this is the best way how much should I replace? Or is there a better way to reduce the noise? I am even open to going to a smaller pump if it will reduce noise.

Could running the pump at the lowest setting increase vibration?

Any and all help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

StirCrazy
04-05-2011, 08:09 PM
I have read that replacing some of the hard PVC with spa flex will reduce the vibration. If this is the best way how much should I replace? Or is there a better way to reduce the noise? I am even open to going to a smaller pump if it will reduce noise.

I found with spa flex you realy need to have a longer run say 1 to 2 feet to realy dampen the vibration. your best be would probably be to get some soft vinal hose and a couple pipe to hose barb adapters and come out of the pump into the vinal hose for 6" then back to hard pipe. you can only use this stuff on the discharge of the pump though.

Steve

sphelps
04-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Latex or silicone tubing would be the best for vibration if you can find it in the right size.

Sunee
04-05-2011, 08:25 PM
StirCrazy Thanks, I'll try the soft tubing first and if that does not work I'll see about the longer run of spa flex.

sphelps thanks, I'll see what I can find.