PDA

View Full Version : Someone give me that final push!!!

Son Of Skyline
06-11-2002, 03:04 PM
Ok...so here I have a very nice used 125gal (48x24x24) with a nice birch cabinet stand and matching canopy, just waiting for me to give the word so we can start building an acrylic overflow and have it delivered to my place. I would be upgrading from a puny 27gal.

At first I was all pysched up as the 125 is pretty much my dream tank (besides the 175gal bow) but as decision time comes near I'm getting more and more nervous.

"Is it too big?"
"Should I spend the money on my car?"
"How am I gonna clean this thing?"

I did run (and still have) a 135gal before, but I found it too big and I don't care for its dimensions.

I really want this tank but I need someone to reassure me that caring for a 125gal isn't that much harder than my 27gal, and to give me some rewarding testimonies of keeping big tanks to give me that final nudge...Anybody?

Delphinus
06-11-2002, 03:29 PM
Dang man, can I have it if you don't want it? Do you mind driving it out to Calgary? Hmmm, you better make use of it then, in that case! smile.gif

I really like that tank size myself. If I had the space ... the money ... and not already four other tanks, I'd really dig a 48x24x24 tank. Maybe when I'm in my next house...

Go for it, I say. (PUSH!!!)

CHEAPREEF
06-11-2002, 03:38 PM
I say go for it, i upgraded to a 75 from my 33 and wish i went bigger. I don't have any room left as it is, so when the time comes to move i'll be going with the 125 as well. It is actually easier to work in the 75 than the 33 and you have way more room for error(more water volume) PUSH, PUSH, PUSH. tongue.gif

Clinton

fishguyis
06-11-2002, 10:10 PM
Mason:
I look after a 125 and it does take a little more time but we are talking minimal. I go to my clients once a week and do a waterchange and clean the glass etc. and it takes me around 45 mins. To me that is not long at all concidering that I do the tests at the same time. When you first start it up it may take a little more time until the system settles in and the tank starts to run smoothly.
I maintain over 50+ tanks and it really depends on what equipment is in use and how well the tank is maintained. I would do a 10-15% water change every week, that way it takes less time and it's better for the tank then doing a monthly water change. If you have any other questions please feel free to email me!

Cheers!

reefburnaby
06-11-2002, 11:33 PM
Hi,

I think the 125 is a fairly nice size. It is probably the best size for a four foot tank since two MH bulbs can easily cover the 4x2 area. Anything bigger will require more lamps.

The depth of the 125 makes aquascaping a bit more interesting than a wall of rocks. More water helps stablize the tank water and helps dilute problems.

One problem I found with the 125 is that it can be hard to work on things that are in the back corner of the tank....especially if you have short arms (like myself). The other thing is that the glass is quite thick...so it will be heavy and the water look a bit more green than your small tank (unless it is saphire glass).

I would say..go for it if you can afford the rest of the equipment (lamps, pumps and stuff like that).

- Victor.

Son Of Skyline
06-11-2002, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys! It was just intimidating looking at this huge tank on a tall stand and a matching canopy. Now I'll post another question...

What size of hole should I have drilled for the corner overflow? I was suggested a 2 1/2" bulkhead, but that means a 4 1/2" hole on the bottom glass in the corner. It seems like quite a big hole. Can I get away with a 1 1/2" bulkhead for the overflow? I don't want to have to stretch a big overflow around a 4 1/2" hole. Thanks again everyone smile.gif

fishguyis
06-11-2002, 11:57 PM
Hi Mason:
I always use Hayward bulkheads (1.5") I have never had any probs with these.

CHEAPREEF
06-12-2002, 12:28 AM
I would do 2 1.5" holes, one on either side. But that's just personal preference.

Clinton

StirCrazy
06-12-2002, 12:30 AM
I did run (and still have) a 135gal before, but I found it too big and I don't care for its dimensions.
[/QB]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey what are the dimentions on the 135? I think you will find your 125gal is actualy a 120 gal smile.gif that is one foor longer than my tank.

and oh ya *Push* *Push* go get it smile.gif

Steve

Son Of Skyline
06-12-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by StirCrazy:
hey what are the dimentions on the 135? I think you will find your 125gal is actualy a 120 gal smile.gif that is one foor longer than my tank.

and oh ya *Push* *Push* go get it smile.gif

Steve<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I know the tank is actually 120gal, but so many people have been calling it a 125gal that I just thought what the heck...I'm tired of arguing my case smile.gif

The 135gal is 6ft x 18" x 24" high. I don't like it because it doesn't have the width of the 120gal, and because it's 6 feet long, I'd have to use an extra MH bulb to light it. Thanks for the push :D

Dez
06-12-2002, 04:57 AM
I upgraded to a similar tank from a 90 gallon to a 48 x 24 x 30 high..(150 gallons) I love it and I'm out of room already....darn. If I had room I'd upgrade the same dimensions but 6 feet. I have an extra tideflow overflow sitting around if you want. They sell it for $200 here in stores and I'll sell it for $75 obo... It works great and can let about 1000gph flow through it.... Do it...it's worth it smile.gif

des

CHEAPREEF
06-12-2002, 12:21 PM
Here, if you think the 120 is going to be big take a look at this.
http://reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=623863
:eek: :eek:
Clinton

Skimmerking
06-12-2002, 11:30 PM
WELLI HAVETO SAY HOLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY S#$T CLINTON
man that's a awesome tank.. My Brother lives in Edmonton ,the next time I'm up I would love to see the tank... He lives in the WEST END I THINK 7207 192ST somthing like that ... tongue.gif ANd as for the 135 gal tank GO for it .hey why not use the 120 for the sump :eek:

Mak
06-12-2002, 11:54 PM
If that's your tank, you should change your name to EXPENSIVEREEF... hehehe :D . What size is that puppy?