PDA

View Full Version : Help advice

Aquaria
04-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I got a gsp frag for 10 bucks hasn't opened in 3 days looks like new growth has started. now today I noticed what looks like bryopsis AND hydriods plus hair and filament algae lol wow. question is it to late for it since it hasn't opened and do I just chuck it out? Have the hydroids and bryopsis already spread?

RuGlu6
04-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Sounds like water parameters could be out of whack. Small but frequent water change is your best friend as always. My GSP don't like low calcium level and stay closed when its low (200 or so, get it up to 400).
You can manually clean what you don't like to have from the frag and then put it back in. If it shows growth and not dissolving its still ok. The other reason for it not opening is something is bothering it or feeding on it.
Keep in mind that it is very hard to get rid of GSP once its starts growing it will kill almost any coral on its way especially SPS.

Aquaria
04-04-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm more thinking it just didn't survive transport it's only been in my tank 3 days my sps is fine and I just did my weekly waterchange. And I know it's like a weed that's why it's on it's own rock in front :) I'll clean the frag off in a few then, just scraping will be fine? Bryopsis and hydroids won't just grow back?

Aquaria
04-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Plus I dose calc and alk I should have givin more info about the tank sry and thank you

plutoniumJoe
04-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Chances are it is fine. GSP is tough to kill even if you are trying to kill it. Give it a few more days and it will probably show signs of life. If it is still purple it is good.

Lance
04-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Chances are it is fine. GSP is tough to kill even if you are trying to kill it. Give it a few more days and it will probably show signs of life. If it is still purple it is good.

I agree. Give it a few months and you'll probably wish it had died. :mrgreen:

bvlester
04-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Hay man I have to jump in on this I know a guy that had his tank crash even killed his fish he tried putting more fish in and bam they died too he was not cleaning his gravel and after a year it started killing every thing. GH grow over every thing this is when he started to listen to me and I helped him clean up his tank and now there's no algae growing gave him a hydro Korella 3 for flow he bought a HOB skimmer and is using that now. The only things that survived his crash was GSP and devils hand frag I gave him tough stuff those two corals are. I have a couple corals waiting for him.

Bill

Aquaria
04-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Iknow gsp is tough that's why I'm really surprised it hasn't opened yet, had a heater break on an old tank and the temp got upto 95-100 or something and the only 2 things that looked as if nothing was wrong was my gsp an Aussie Duncan lol that's why I figured it would have opened by now if it was still alive but I'll give it a few more days and watch for new growth

toytech
04-05-2011, 08:59 PM
I got a gps frasg a few weeks ago and it didnt open for 6 days , now its out all the time . It just takes time for some corals .

trilinearmipmap
04-05-2011, 11:59 PM
If you don't already have a bryopsis or hydroid infestation in the rest of your tank, I would toss the GSP frag. It is not worth risking having hydroids/bryopsis all over your tank IMO, as green star polyps are cheap and in a few years you will be wondering how to eradicate it anyways.

hillegom
04-06-2011, 12:04 AM
If you don't already have a bryopsis or hydroid infestation in the rest of your tank, I would toss the GSP frag. It is not worth risking having hydroids/bryopsis all over your tank IMO, as green star polyps are cheap and in a few years you will be wondering how to eradicate it anyways.

+1