PDA

View Full Version : Snowflake eel

Trocar61
04-04-2011, 03:00 PM
How many of you have a snowflake in your reef tank?

reefwars
04-04-2011, 03:08 PM
ive always had one in my reeftank, ive owned several over the years ranging from juvies to adults and they are not "reefsafe" towards inverts or small fish.

keeping one while its young in a reef tank is easy but as it matures your gonna want to move it to a bigger aquarium as they eventually develop a taste for small fish and anything with a shell.during feeding time they will grab anything thats in front of them as they are pretty much blind and often create a bit of a stir for others.

keeping it well fed is essential in delaying this and they need a "lair" to retreat back to with food or to hide out from the light.

beautiful creatures and by far one of my faves and ive always owned one but not good for a small tank or in a community of small fishes:) cheers:):)

paddyob
04-04-2011, 03:30 PM
beautiful creatures and by far one of my faves and ive always owned one but not good for a small tank or in a community of small fishes:) cheers:):)

Uhmm... Denny I disagree with you about small fishes.

I was pretty sure your Snowflake also ate BIG fish! **cough cough clown fish cough cough** Ha ha! Sorry buddy!

:twised:

reefwars
04-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Uhmm... Denny I disagree with you about small fishes.

I was pretty sure your Snowflake also ate BIG fish! **cough cough clown fish cough cough** Ha ha! Sorry buddy!

:twised:

very true that he did, as he was getting older he like all the others got aggresive during feeding times and ate my large female cinnamon clown of about 4-5 inches.

i found they are protective of their lair and when my female tried to host an elegance on the sandbed next to the lair my eel and her were having territorial disputes which ended in my eels favor:):)

all in all though my female clown killed more fish then the eel did if that makes any sense hehe damn clowns are aggressive when they get big:):) cheers

***** on a unrelated non hijacking note.....i bought an adult female cinnamon clown with a set up yesterday and she is around 6-7" in lenght just masive and by far the biggest cinn clown ive ever seen in person:)******she instantly owns the tank now lol:)

paddyob
04-04-2011, 03:40 PM
***** on a unrelated non hijacking note.....i bought an adult female cinnamon clown with a set up yesterday and she is around 6-7" in lenght just masive and by far the biggest cinn clown ive ever seen in person:)******she instantly owns the tank now lol:)

SERIOUSLY??? Pics Denny! PICS!

reefwars
04-04-2011, 03:44 PM
SERIOUSLY??? Pics Denny! PICS!

i know i was so amazed lol i didnt think they get that big apparenty the guy has had her for 11 yrs and in the pics he sent me she didnt look so big but when i seen her in person i just knew i was in for trouble finding a nem large enough or a male that will take her kind of beating......also the previous owner said she has killed over a dozen other small fish and he was going to flush her if the set up didnt sell......so now i am the proud owner of a huge killer clown lol:):) awesome!!!!! lol

pics today on my journal plus alot of cool rockscaping etc.

cheers buddy!!!:)

Trocar61
04-04-2011, 05:21 PM
ok well thanks for the input guys.

paddyob
04-04-2011, 05:28 PM
i know i was so amazed lol i didnt think they get that big apparenty the guy has had her for 11 yrs and in the pics he sent me she didnt look so big but when i seen her in person i just knew i was in for trouble finding a nem large enough or a male that will take her kind of beating......also the previous owner said she has killed over a dozen other small fish and he was going to flush her if the set up didnt sell......so now i am the proud owner of a huge killer clown lol:):) awesome!!!!! lol

pics today on my journal plus alot of cool rockscaping etc.

cheers buddy!!!:)

Denny you missed out. AI had a Red Carpet about 18" across. Chris at the shop bought it.

That clown would have loved it!