PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Pumps

themastr
04-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Hey Guys

I have a Reeflo Dart attached to an Ocean Motion 4 Way for Recirculation.

then I have my Sequence hammerhead pump 5400GPH for my return. I was wondering if anyone has a return pump connected to an OM 4 way instead of running 2 pumps. one for a loop the other for return

Do you think it's better to get a bigger return pump and just attach it to the Ocean Motion or keep the OM seperate for Recirculation. If I get rid of the Reeflo that would be cheaper in electricity cost.

Let me know what you think

thanks
erick

themastr
04-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Anyone

The Codfather
04-05-2011, 03:36 PM
I always ran two pumps, and will have two pumps on the new tank as well. Each one has a dedicated breaker, just to be on the safe side. This way if something happens to one pump I'm not in a pinch and can usually get it repaired with little down time. Just the way I see it.

sphelps
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Have you considered leaving the CL dart as is and replacing the return pump with something a little smaller? With the CL already in place I wouldn't take it out as it will be more efficient at creating in tank flow than a return. The bigger source of the energy consumption is the hammerhead. I'm assuming you're pumping from another floor with that pump? If so have you considered any options to reduce the pump head pressure like raising the sump?

themastr
04-05-2011, 04:08 PM
The pumps are in the same level in basement with the tank. I have alot of flow in the tank which I like . Just was wondering if it would be more cost effective running the return pump on the OM and buy two mp40 and get rid of the other pump

I do like the idea of two separate breakers like I have now. A little backup protection but now they have the vortech battery backup. So not sure which way to go.
Considering that 200 watts all day and everyday for the pumps and the 60 watts on the vortech it should add up overtime.

Thanks
Erick

sphelps
04-05-2011, 04:19 PM
That's a big return pump for your application, personally I would run the dart on the CL as is and maybe put a timer on it to turn off overnight. Swap the hammerhead for something more reasonable on power like perhaps even another dart or snapper. Then add your vortec or other power head to get the flow you're looking for. Problem with return pumps is they have to run 24/7 so to me that's where you will make the most impact on power consumption. Other pumps can run on timers to cut down their duty cycle.

mark
04-05-2011, 05:39 PM
all on one pump then all the flow is through the sump.

I don't get all worked up like some about having a return pump contributing to display turnover but wondering have you been running your Hammerhead unrestricted?

themastr
04-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Yes running everything unrestricted mark

Yes I figured i can save lots if I shut a pump down. We will see