PDA

View Full Version : EBAY Powerhead pump

Reefpins10
04-04-2011, 04:28 AM
Does anyone have a 2X1600GPH Dual Twin Wavemaker Powerhead pump from ebay. It is so cheap, only $36.99 I want to get one, but want to know how is the quality or noise problem ... when it runs in your tank.

Delphinus
04-04-2011, 02:33 PM
I've run a similar looking one that had the brand name "SunSun" which I found at a LFS in Calgary. Looks so similar makes me think they are the same but who knows, my guess is it's probably some OEM out of China sold under multiple consumer brands.

Never noticed any noise beyond that which you would expect from a powerhead.

Longevity - the only issue I did have with them is that the impeller shaft would start to corrode out after a while. I got well over a year on them. The first one I ended up tossing but with the second one, I was in a bit of a bind and needing some flow in one of my tanks so I went and bought some titanium bike spokes, cut the length I needed using a Dremel and diamond cut-off disk. That was almost a year ago, the thing is still pushing water.

So to me it seems whatever grade of stainless steel they are using for the impeller shafts is not the best choice for SW tanks but other than that they seem to do the job.

Reefpins10
04-05-2011, 01:53 AM
Thanks for your feed back, Tony. I think you were right about they are not the best choice for SW, I never thought about it. You get what you paid, the price is so cheap that made me hesitate to buy it. My husband and I are not very good on fixing things like you, so I think I had better just wait to save some more money to get a decent brand name like Vortech pump.