PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas on getting rid of palys!

nlreefguy
04-04-2011, 12:55 AM
I have an annoying species of palys growing all over everything, crowding out SPS, etc and impossible to remove. I have, at one time, taken all the rocks out and scrubbed them with a steel brush and thought I had them all removed. Less than 6 months later, they're back in a bigger way than before!

Man, if they were colorful they'd be the best coral in the tank, but no.... they had to be brown and ugly (of course). Any ideas on how to get rid of them? I've tried kalk pasting them, adding sundial snails, manual removal, all to no avail.

Is there a fish that will eat them? (preferably without eating any/everything else!) How about this SWC aiptasia zapper? Do you think it will kill the palys?

I have a mixed reef tank with some nice zoos I'd prefer to keep, a couple of softies and a couple of LPS, the rest are SPS (acros, stylos, pocis, montis, etc) Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

reefwars
04-04-2011, 01:02 AM
I have an annoying species of palys growing all over everything, crowding out SPS, etc and impossible to remove. I have, at one time, taken all the rocks out and scrubbed them with a steel brush and thought I had them all removed. Less than 6 months later, they're back in a bigger way than before!

Man, if they were colorful they'd be the best coral in the tank, but no.... they had to be brown and ugly (of course). Any ideas on how to get rid of them? I've tried kalk pasting them, adding sundial snails, manual removal, all to no avail.

Is there a fish that will eat them? (preferably without eating any/everything else!) How about this SWC aiptasia zapper? Do you think it will kill the palys?

I have a mixed reef tank with some nice zoos I'd prefer to keep, a couple of softies and a couple of LPS, the rest are SPS (acros, stylos, pocis, montis, etc) Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

after you scrape them off or what not try making a epoxy sheet do like 3-4" squares to cover them up with, no light and they will die off soon enough then pry up the sheet later on or let coraline cover it up. just an idea:)

Myka
04-04-2011, 01:04 AM
Ask your LFS to inspect their Zoa shipments for Box snails aka Sundial snails. They are "bad" hitchhikers...bad for Zoas and Palys anyway. =]

reefwars
04-04-2011, 01:41 AM
if they werent ugly brown i would come grab some but i got enough brown for now:):)

nlreefguy
04-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Ask your LFS to inspect their Zoa shipments for Box snails aka Sundial snails. They are "bad" hitchhikers...bad for Zoas and Palys anyway. =]

I have added every sundial snail the LFS has gotten in. They completely ignore them. Of course, they head right for the zoos I actually want to keep!

fishytime
04-04-2011, 05:02 AM
Tailered Aquatics aiptasia destroyer might work.....I used it to melt a couple mushrooms that were encroaching to close to some sps.....

reefwars
04-04-2011, 02:34 PM
how about a blow torch??? ive heard of people using it for aiptasia might work the same here.

damn i bet its a messy thing though.......maybe you could just paint the ugly brown ones a nice yellow or red??;) lol good luck buddy:)

gobytron
04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Ive read that magensium concentrate applied directly to zoas or palys will finish them off pretty quickly and permanently.

nlreefguy
04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Ive read that magensium concentrate applied directly to zoas or palys will finish them off pretty quickly and permanently.

Is that right? Hmmm.... that has potential. So how about just supersaturating some Epsom salts in RO? Maybe even boiling RO? Only problem is that the ones I'm really interested in getting rid of are sitting on my crocea clam and anything I do to them, I'm essentially doing to it as well....

GMGQ
04-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Whatever you do, be careful of the toxins the palys can release. Either airborn, or through open cuts on your hands.

Y'never know.