PDA

View Full Version : Tuxedo Urchin + Hermit Crabs = dead urchin?

darb
04-03-2011, 08:21 PM
I added a Tuxedo Urchin to my tank last weekend and it was happily mowing away at all that it came across in my tank. This morning I noticed it was upside down and eaten out ....

My usual suspects are the blasted hermit crabs, does that sound right?

Only other possible creatures are O. clowns, Flame Hawk, 6 Line Wrasse and a Rainfords Goby.

I also just added a star this weekend, will the hermits munch on that also?

christyf5
04-03-2011, 08:38 PM
how well did you acclimate it to salinity? they can be very sensitive. That being said once accimated to the tank they are usually very hardy as well. They're difficult to get into as well so I doubt a hermit crab would have killed it and likely was scavenging on it after it had died. When was the last time you saw the urchin active and moving about?

darb
04-03-2011, 09:00 PM
As I recall I dripped it over about 2 hours and was immediately active and always moving around over the past week. Yesterday I noticed it sitting in a patch of hair algae and assumed that it was eating, but that is the same spot that I found it in emptied this morning. That is also right by my heater and prior to it was on the glass in the area of the heater. Maybe it burnt itself on the heater.

toytech
04-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Urchins are sensitive sometimes , I had a longspine that dropped all its spines and died suddenly . The hermits picked it clean in about 2 hours . I have a new tuxedo now and it picks the hermits up and will carry them around for days , so it is less than defenseless .