PDA

View Full Version : looking for cheap livestock for high school tanks in the Red Deer area

dunl
04-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Hi all,

I now have an 85g set up and running that I'd like to stock. Looking for anything and everything....diversity and quantity is more important than "something that looks nice". Smaller fish and more of them would be more important than one large predator, although a lionfish would be cool for a while. :) Not really concentrating on the corals that require the higher levels of lighting.

IOW, it's not going to be a "display tank"...it's just going to be a tank that's displayed. I'll even have some apitasia covered rock that will be going in there as well, so we can refer to that when we do invasive species.

Also moving in a 15g cube, 2g baby mantis tank, and possibly another 10 or 20g for my larger mantis.

s.tan
04-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Also moving in a 15g cube, 2g baby mantis tank, and possibly another 10 or 20g for my larger mantis.

Sounds like you've found a new way to feed the MTS addiction! LOL! :mrgreen: Welcome to the club.... as any "fit" organism knows ... when you've used up all the resources (available space, wife's patience etc.) in one location, migrate to a new location and set up a new population! Doesn't that make sense?? :lol:

Ian
04-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Be very careful my classroom "tank" is now 3 and woking on a 4th..MTS has a life of its own..BTW out in Condor very close to you

dunl
04-04-2011, 04:17 PM
This was the second classroom tank....the third one was the mantis tank that went up yesterday. lol

dunl
04-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Bump. Still looking. :)

Aquaria
04-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Get a pistol shrimp goby pair that would be pretty cool addition for school ... Where were all the cool teachers like u when I was in school man maybe I woulda finished then if we had more like you. Props for being a wicked teacher

dunl
04-07-2011, 05:39 PM
I appreciate that, but then again...unless you're in your early twenties.....most of your teachers didn't have the resources we do now that make things like this affordable and easy to obtain.

Although it's funny...I remember learning about pond life in the sunken end of the playground that would flood for about two months every spring. Pulling out frog's eggs, tadpoles, dragonfly larvae, and here we are doing some of the same stuff but with a saltwater tank. But we did it then because that was the only way to find it instead of a book.

I guess my kids should maybe thank my elementary teachers. :D

dunl
09-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Bump: It's September, and I am looking for fish for the classroom again.