PDA

View Full Version : air bubbles on glass

Maverick00
04-01-2011, 03:04 AM
I was curious as to why more bubbles have recently been appearing on the inside of all four panes of my display tank (attaching themselves to the algae that grows on the glass after a couple of days). I have recently upgraded my skimmer from a coralife ss to a vertex in100. Could the increased bubble production be caused by the new skimmer aerating the water at a higher rate?

asylumdown
04-01-2011, 06:42 AM
how thick is the algae? certain kinds of algaes produce bubbles of oxygen that get trapped in their vegetative matrix,

Otherwise it's likely just micro-bubbles getting stuck to the irregular surface the algae creates on the glass.

ETA: It's unlikely that the bubbles are oxygen that's precipitated out. Even at 100% saturation I don't think that happens. the bubbles are either coming from your water column and collecting on the glass, or they're being produced by the algae. Wass there a noticeable increase in the number of micro-bubbles in the water with the new skimmer?

Maverick00
04-01-2011, 09:00 PM
no excessive microbubbles coming from the skimmer

"Otherwise it's likely just micro-bubbles getting stuck to the irregular surface the algae creates on the glass"

i believe that is the most probable scenario..

the algae is a bunch of thin long hairs, one end sticking to the glass.