PDA

View Full Version : cutting a 30 inch tall tank to 24 inches tall.

Ryanst
03-31-2011, 06:00 PM
well like the title says I was just wondering if there was anyway to cut my 72 x 30 x 24 inch tank to 72 x 24 x 24?

outacontrol
03-31-2011, 06:21 PM
put in a deep sand bed, say about 6"

The Grizz
03-31-2011, 07:11 PM
There is but it might not be pretty. You could take the whole tank apart and take the glass to a glass shop and have them do it or get a diamond blade for a grinder and diy.

sphelps
03-31-2011, 07:26 PM
You would have to take it apart and have the glass professionally cut, it'll be too thick for the average DIY to cut a 6" strip 72" long.

Personally I don't think it would be worth the trouble and you'd be better off buying a new tank but that's just what I would do. A standard 180 gallon tank is 6x2x2 and showing up with cash to somewhere like BWA would probably score you a deal if there was a tank in stock ready to go.

Ryanst
03-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Well the tank is my spare its in my parents shed right now. I just really hate the 30 inch deep and the tank bows a bit when full so I dont really want to use it again at 30 inches. At 24 inches there would be alot less head pressure on the glass. I am going to need it in the next month or two to put my fish in while I move and set up my new tank. I think I will try and cut it and put a coast to coast overflow on the back. worst case scenario I break it and need to wait for another used big tank to come up for sale.

lastlight
03-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Why not just try and dremel an overflow 6" down from the top and toss a box on it? That way you don't need to mess with taking it apart.

Ryanst
03-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Why not just try and dremel an overflow 6" down from the top and toss a box on it? That way you don't need to mess with taking it apart.
I thought about that too becuase it is just a temporary tank I doesnt have to look that good. But if the cutting worked maybe one day I could have 2 big tanks set up. lol

Ryanst
03-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Has anyone tried cutting something that big with a diamond blade? I would use a skil saw and put a 6 foot hand level along the whole thing so I get a straight cut.

lastlight
03-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Check the beginnings of Dez's thread. He did a lot of this type of dremelling. Heck you could just do a coast-to-coast 6" down and drill regular bulkheads into it. Sounds like you want to not have it look silly as well but a canopy could easily hide a 6" rim.

Dez
03-31-2011, 09:38 PM
I would maybe use masking tape to cut down on the shelling
Of the glass. Then maybe use you skill saw idea with lots of water. I just used a regular diamond blade from totem on my grinder.

reefwars
03-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Has anyone tried cutting something that big with a diamond blade? I would use a skil saw and put a 6 foot hand level along the whole thing so I get a straight cut.

if you go slow you can cut it no problem, the finish wont be very nice so it will need some other work as well afterwards, i havent cut one 72" but i cut a 1" strip off a piece that was 24" x24" through my wet saw, just your average diamond blade, where the glass is so thick it actually cuts very easily. theres a video on my tank journal of us cutting it check it out its just a crap mastercraft saw and took only 3 mins to cut one inch off of two pieces. both pieces turned out really well. cheers:)

Red Coral Aquariums
03-31-2011, 11:15 PM
well like the title says I was just wondering if there was anyway to cut my 72 x 30 x 24 inch tank to 72 x 24 x 24?

Cutting the tank apart, cleaning the glass and then taking in in to get cut is a PITA. Probably cheaper in time and money for a new one. you could consider adding another piece of glass 6" up That too would be a pita but you could play around with having a 6" tank under ie. reaction chamber etc. Just throwing ideas out there nothing really practical. (disclaimer having fun with this not a viable solution).

Kevin

blacknife
04-01-2011, 02:33 AM
leave it 30 and add a brace a across the top front and the coast to coast to brace the back?

jon.smolders
04-01-2011, 02:39 PM
What about a glass cutter? you know, the little hand held tool you score the glass with and then snap it? I know it takes some practice, and maybe that's way to long of a piece of glass (or thick) to work, but I think if it were possible, then you should have a nice straight line and you could touch up the sharp edge with a dremel. I havn't tried cutting cutting anything thicker than 1/4" this way though...

I dunno... seems safer then running a skill saw through it. :)

Ryanst
04-01-2011, 04:54 PM
leave it 30 and add a brace a across the top front and the coast to coast to brace the back?

Its not the top that bows its the whole front panel the euro bracing keeps the top straight.

Ryanst
04-01-2011, 05:05 PM
I think I am going to try and cut it while still together on saturday I will take lots of photos to let you guy know how it goes. I am going to tape the entire cut so that I dont get as much chipping hopefully glass is like wood and that will help. lol I am also going to make a 2 x 2 frame inside the tank to support where I am cutting.

Murminator
04-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Why not sell it and buy a 24" tall tank

Ryanst
04-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Why not sell it and buy a 24" tall tank

I wouldnt feel right selling a tank that I dont think is safe to hold water.

sphelps
04-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Wear safety glasses!

BTW all 230 gallon standard tanks bow out from the center like you described, basically poor design as the glass should be thicker and braced better. If it has 1/2" glass and a huge center brace in the center it's the standard 230. It will still hold water fine, it'll take more than a little bow to separate those seams.

rstjean
04-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Well I managed to cut the tank down to 24 inches without breaking it. There is a couple of chips but not that bad. I found that masking tape did not help to reduce chipping and that starfire glass chips more then regular glass. I will post pictures later today.

The Grizz
04-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Now put a 2" euro brace around the top it will hide any rough edges and will look pretty good. I knew you could do it if you put your mind to it and took it slow.

Ryanst
04-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Ok here is the tank before I started cutting it.
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae171/Ryanst/IMG_0075.jpg
I had to remove the overflow before starting to cut the tank
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae171/Ryanst/IMG_0076.jpg
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae171/Ryanst/IMG_0078.jpg
Here is the picture after the first cut it chipped alot more then the other side I think its because it was starfire glass. Th tape did nothing to stop chipping but it did make cutting more difficult when it ripped off and bunched up in front of the saw.
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae171/Ryanst/IMG_0079.jpg
Here is the other cut.
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae171/Ryanst/IMG_0080.jpg
And a couple pictures of the top cut off.
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae171/Ryanst/IMG_0081.jpg
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae171/Ryanst/IMG_0082.jpg

toytech
04-03-2011, 01:17 AM
wow thats awsome , good job !

Ryanst
04-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Here is the diamond blade I used.
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae171/Ryanst/IMG_0083.jpg

The Grizz
04-03-2011, 01:46 AM
That turned out pretty good, nice job. And you have the euro-brace to put back on too.

mike31154
04-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Way to go! I have an old 65 I'm thinking of cutting a little lower as well, your thread, pics are a great confidence booster. I have a small wet tile table saw that I was thinking of using. Just not sure I can run the tank over top of it. How did you feed water to your hand saw while cutting, hose?

Ryanst
04-03-2011, 02:14 AM
Way to go! I have an old 65 I'm thinking of cutting a little lower as well, your thread, pics are a great confidence booster. I have a small wet tile table saw that I was thinking of using. Just not sure I can run the tank over top of it. How did you feed water to your hand saw while cutting, hose?

No my dad used a spray bottle we didnt want to use to much water becuase I was using a skill saw and didnt want to much extra water around.

Ryanst
04-03-2011, 02:21 AM
That turned out pretty good, nice job. And you have the euro-brace to put back on too.
Yeah thats the plan. What is the best way to get it off the other glass. I tried fish line on the overflow and that didnt work that well I ended up using leaders because the fish line kept breaking I still managed to break 3 leaders and that was only like 2 feet of cutting.

es355lucille
04-03-2011, 02:30 AM
Nice job!......I was wondering how this was going to turn out. I think this thread will give us all ideas, and some will be able to recycle/reuse some tanks that would just be junked.

jon.smolders
04-03-2011, 04:06 AM
Wow... Good job. I never would have believed it without pictures. It does make me think I could do more with garage sale tanks or old glass. And I just saw a diamond blade / hole saw set on sale at Canadian Tire. Hmm... Now I need to think up a project so I have an excuse to buy it :biggrin:

Kryptic4L
04-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Yeah thats the plan. What is the best way to get it off the other glass. I tried fish line on the overflow and that didnt work that well I ended up using leaders because the fish line kept breaking I still managed to break 3 leaders and that was only like 2 feet of cutting.

i have contimplated using guitar string/ piano wire atached to a handle in the past, never actually went through with it, but if you ever played the game hitman you can lob peoples heads off with it.

The Grizz
04-05-2011, 02:22 PM

Get the smallest size guitar string is the right option like Kryptic stated but first use a razor blade and cut the corner beads out first, this will make it easier to do.

toytech
04-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Hood release cable works great , go to the wrecker and cut the cable under the hood and pull the handle out from under the dash . Wire with a handle thast super tough , thats how i cut windsheilds outa cars works like a dream.

tinman
04-06-2011, 01:31 AM
you could rent a wet saw from home depot if you were taking the tank apart.