PDA

View Full Version : LF: Reliable Digital Timer

Timbits
03-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Hey guys, just wondering if you guys have one lying around that you'll sell me, i am so fed up with mine it doesn't turn my lights off its driving me crazy anyways pm me! thanks! :mrgreen:

phi delt reefer
03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
i dont believe a reliable digital timer exists. I have read everywhere to either use a reef controller (ie. reefkeeper lite $120 but has 4 outlets) or mechanical timers. I think the circuitry in the digital timers is prone to interference so they muck up quite a bit.

monocus
03-31-2011, 02:38 PM
i found the best timer is a 24 hour in wall timer by intermatic(km2st-1g).get a double box an outlet and do some simple wiring and you'll have a reliable timer that's simple to use with 2 outlets.it's not digital , but you can set it up for multiple on and offs

fencer
03-31-2011, 03:43 PM
CDN Tire. They sell heavy duty timers for auto block heaters

ScubaSteve
03-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Walmart. Their digital timers are bomb proof. I've accidentally poor water on them and everything, still work like the day I bought them.

Ripwoop
03-31-2011, 11:23 PM
I won't buy another digital timer again. Had it for about 7 months and it keeps time for about 2 days, then boom just starts making up it's own mind what time it is. 24 hour manual one are far better. IMO

martinmcnally
03-31-2011, 11:32 PM
I just got some timers from these guys:

http://northcoastpets.com/lighting_parts.htm

They are the only ones I can find with battery backup so if the power goes out they wont lose the timer settings. That seems to happen to me every time i set foot out of the country.

Lance
03-31-2011, 11:53 PM
I've tried numerous brands of digital & mechanical timers and most of them are POS! I've found using a controller is the best way to go. If you have to go with a timer I like the Hamilton Dual Digital Timer.

Nebthet
03-31-2011, 11:59 PM
I have 2 of the digital timers made by Wood's, that look and work the exact same as the coralife digital timers, but are cheaper.

Mine have never given me an issue. Just make sure you are setting it correctly by having every day of the week showing on the program on off part unless you want things to be different every day. Also ensure you have it on the auto setting once all done.

I have been using these for well over a year now and they work perfect. The only time I do have an issue with them is if the power goes out and that is my fault b/c I haven't put the batteries in the back as a timer back up.

Timbits
04-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! i was looking for a digital timer because i've heard from someone before that they are more reliable... im using a mechanical one right now and it screws up all da time! but after hearing from all you guys it seems like mechanical ones are much more reliable.... i guess i need to find a better mechanical one... if you still have one that ur not using please let me know!

Thanks, Tim

hillegom
04-02-2011, 11:35 PM
What kind of mechanical timer do you have?
I have an intermatic and it hasn't given me any trouble for 5 yrs.

dsaundry
04-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Just read what happened with my digital.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72820

Timbits
04-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Just read what happened with my digital.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72820

omgggg i'm sooo sorry for your losss

mike31154
04-03-2011, 02:23 PM
I have 2 of the digital timers made by Wood's, that look and work the exact same as the coralife digital timers, but are cheaper.

Mine have never given me an issue. Just make sure you are setting it correctly by having every day of the week showing on the program on off part unless you want things to be different every day. Also ensure you have it on the auto setting once all done.

I have been using these for well over a year now and they work perfect. The only time I do have an issue with them is if the power goes out and that is my fault b/c I haven't put the batteries in the back as a timer back up.

I use two of these as well and they work fine. The odd time when the power goes off and back on, one of them resets the clock and my T5HO lighting schedule programming is lost. But this is not necessarily a tank killer. I also use at least three other flavours of individual digital timers. Both mechanical & digital timers are prone to failure and there are cheaper & more expensive ones. Quality doesn't follow price in all cases. The key is redundancy. If you want to safeguard your system, don't put all your gear on to one power bar or even circuit for that matter. This is probably why I still haven't bought into the controller scene. They're great devices, but I think most of them run on a single power source, controlling all your gear. What happens when power to the controller is lost? I have two heaters in my 77, one on an "always on" outlet on the digitally timed power bar and the other on a separate circuit with just an extension cord with multiple outlets.

Also, when you first get your digital timer, test it to see what happens when the power goes on & off. Test it once a month like you would a GFCI device. Make sure the battery that's in most digital timers is properly installed and change it once a year. This is the one big advantage of most digitals, the battery backup, which is supposed to retain the settings during a power outage. I can't really see myself going back to a mechanical timer and reckon in a few years you won't even be able to buy a new one. I know about the issue on my digital power bar which sometimes resets the timings, but I still use it since it's not the only power source for my system and I know it comes back on after a power outage. The T5HO lights may be out until I get home, but the heaters, Halides and my VorTechs will still work, since they're all split on different outlets. Redundancy, did I mention redundancy (which may include a power backup source)?

Tom R
04-03-2011, 04:06 PM
I have 2 Intermatic Heavy Duty Timers for sale $45.00 each.

Tom R

intarsiabox
04-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I've used a couple of Noma digital block heater timers on my tanks for 5 years without a single issue. Also use the same ones for the vehicles all winter for 6-7 years now. Usually on sale for $10 at Cdn Tire.