View Full Version : which one to get?

kenman999
03-30-2011, 11:27 AM
D300 with af-s 16-85

or D90 with af-s 18-105

Thanks in advance!

sphelps
03-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Depends what you want, I prefer the D300 as it has a full magnesium alloy body as appose to plastic and a few extra features like 51 point focusing. It's also a more professional grade which I prefer but others might prefer all the shooting modes on the D90 which the D300 doesn't have. However both cameras have the exact same sensor and are realistically capable of taking the exact same photos and the D90 does video which is nice but also fairly useless as it's no where near a camcorder and offers no continuous auto focus ability. You can also upgrade to the D300s which has the video as well as a couple extra nice features that it lacked before in comparison to the D90.

Personally I wouldn't go with either the D90 or D300, the better buy right now is the D7000 which I think has the best of both including the mag body and video with continuous AF.

As for lenses, the 16-85 is a much better lens than the 18-105.

Renegade
03-30-2011, 11:38 PM
The video feature is a big selling point in my opinion. You would be surprised how many movies, commercials and crap are made on 5D's and similar cameras. It far surpasses a camcorder with its ability to change lens. Auto focus is not used when making movies. Some of your favorite TV shows have 5D as insert shots. Or where theirs a possibility the camera is gonna get trashed in stunts and explosions. I work in the film industry as a location audio mixer and well 5D's are more popular with the indie film makers were a budget isn't there for a Red or an Alexis.

Just think of shooting some videos of the tank....... on a 50mm. Crisp, Clear and well pretty stunning.

Kyle

kenman999
03-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Thank you for your info!