PDA

View Full Version : help ID worm found in new setup

Neesmo
03-30-2011, 03:47 AM
My friend has found some random creatures in his new Sw setup and being that we are all stricktly FW people we have no idea what they are.. Any help is appreciated for us newbs lol. Will post pics in 5 minutes

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/TheAntiriced/2011-03-29214827.jpg

hound96
03-30-2011, 03:54 AM
looks like a bristle worm

FishyFishy!
03-30-2011, 04:03 AM
Yeah just looks like a haggard bristleworm

Wayne
03-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Don`t touch him with your fingers, his bristles will get stuck in your fingers... It sucks :lol:

Neesmo
03-30-2011, 04:19 AM
There is only about 10 pounds of rock in the tank but there is quite a few of these worms in there. There is just 3 damsels and some hermit crabs right now. What would be better to control these worms? Would i need a number of arrow crabs or wrasses for this 90 gallon setup? Thanks guys

rtram
03-30-2011, 07:17 AM
imo, any measure taken to get rid of bristle worms this early on in your tank is quite unnecessary as they are beneficial detritivores for any aquarium. unless you find them tremendously aesthetically unappealing, i'd just leave them and let them do their job.

bryceschutte
03-30-2011, 07:20 AM
imo, any measure taken to get rid of bristle worms this early on in your tank is quite unnecessary as they are beneficial detritivores for any aquarium. unless you find them tremendously aesthetically unappealing, i'd just leave them and let them do their job.

+1

They are good leave them.

RuGlu6
03-30-2011, 07:23 AM

+1
Liave them, they are cleaners.
In reef tanks criters that we like most (Fish) produce most waste, and criters that we like least (worms) help us clean the tank.

the marine apprentice
03-30-2011, 09:04 AM
i have them in my tank as well and i always see them crusin around at night once the lights go out. no threat that i know of but they do multiply a lot. and dont touch them. ive been it a few times un knowingly and it sucks a bunch

Neesmo
03-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Lol. Ok. Sounds good tome and i will let him know. We just got concerner now that the algae bloom is going away we just noticed them sticking out of the live rock.. Was creepy to him lol

thanks for helping the noobs

reefwars
03-30-2011, 03:30 PM
There is only about 10 pounds of rock in the tank but there is quite a few of these worms in there. There is just 3 damsels and some hermit crabs right now. What would be better to control these worms? Would i need a number of arrow crabs or wrasses for this 90 gallon setup? Thanks guys

you may want to invest in some more live rock if you plan to up your bio load or have more fish...10 lbs in a 90 g isnt much unless you mean you have 100 lbs??

toytech
03-30-2011, 11:27 PM
Bristle worms are good cleaners , and if you friend gets a wrasse in the future it will take care of any of the brave ones that come out in the day . My yellow corris wrasse eats them like popcorn ,somehow doesn't seem bother by the spines.