PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Salt

apepper
01-08-2004, 07:18 AM
Has anyone had any experience with Red Sea Salt? Is it good, bad or indifferent? I have read various discussions/studies on which salt to use and it seems to mostly boil down to personal preference. Anyone have any bad experiences with this salt?

By the way Petcetera has this on sale in their flyer for $49.96 for 200gallon bucket.

Namscam
01-08-2004, 07:35 AM
i m using red sea salt right now...and it all seems the same but a lot of ppl dont like it

UnderWorldAquatics
01-08-2004, 06:52 PM
I have used red sea salt off and on for many years, I have never had a problem with it. I have used it off and on depending what the wholesaler has on special... :biggrin:

BCOrchidGuy
01-09-2004, 03:30 AM
I've used Red Sea and found it wasn't consistant. I found the same thing with Marine Environment and BioSea. I use Kent now and have been very impressed with it. My main concern is I want a salt that mixes up consistantly from one batch to the other, I like the Kent because of it's consistancy but also because of it's higher Ca and Mg etc content.

Doug

kris_willard
06-27-2004, 06:22 AM
Its crap. My iced tea mixes better than that stuff. I have 3/4 of a bucket sitting in my fishroom that i will never use.

Invigor
08-17-2004, 04:00 PM
We use it at petcetera, i don't mind it at all. I used it at home for a while too, then bought a pail of IO (from canadian marine aquarium supply at a supremely great price) and started using it. I started off with a 12g water change in my 70g with IO and like a bang coraline algae started growing like mad.

I'm not sure if it was just timing..the tank was about 8 months in from the beginning.

As for mixing red sea -- haven't had any issues.

TommDool
08-22-2004, 06:10 AM
I use Red Sea salt and never had a problem. I to buy it when petcetera has it on sale (ever 4month or so). It mixes very fast for me and always the right salinity and levels. Just like everything saltwater, go with what you find works for you.