PDA

View Full Version : Skimz SM202 Trial/Review\Closing Comments

fencer
03-29-2011, 03:47 AM
This is a short review on this skimmer from Skimz. Here are some pics for now.It will be setup later in the week. I will compare it to
InVertex 250( BTW is for sale :mrgreen:)
ASM G3 ( BTW is for sale :mrgreen:)
+ others

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/P3280024.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/P3280031.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/P3280029.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/P3280021.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/P3280019.jpg

fencer
03-29-2011, 04:05 AM
The Skimz is constructed of cast acrylic( looks like 3mm ). This skimmer is fitted for external operation, but can be converted for internal use. The footprint is about 15' x 12" and stands about 24 inches( same height as an ASM G3) The fit an finish is very good. Edges are fire polished. All the parts fit easily. This has a "screw plunger valve" for fine tuning of skimmer. A very nice feature. The skimmer cup locks in place but has an exit port that you can connect to a waste collection vessel. The dispersion plate in the main chamber can be removed for cleaning ( and modding)

christyf5
03-29-2011, 11:03 AM
what size tank is it rated for?

fencer
03-29-2011, 01:54 PM
200 to 500 gal rating . I will be posting a comparison chart later

christyf5
03-29-2011, 02:25 PM
nice! looking forward to a performance review. did you get this as a demo from aqua digital or purchase it yourself?

fencer
03-29-2011, 03:46 PM
I did purchase it myself. It came directly from Aqua Digital. As they are no LFS that had a SM202E model in at this moment. E=external

RedCoralEdmonton
03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
15' by 12" footprint? thats gigantic!!!!! hahaha

looks good, are you planning on leaving it external? post a pic of it in action as well as your placement when you get er up and running!

Steve

StirCrazy
03-29-2011, 04:32 PM
This is a short review on this skimmer from Skimz. Here are some pics for now.It will be setup later in the week. I will compare it to
InVertex 250( BTW is for sale :mrgreen:)
ASM G3 ( BTW is for sale :mrgreen:)
+ others

going to kind of be a useless comparason isn't it.. the skimz is rated up to 500 gal where the Vertex 250 is only rated up to 250 gal
the asm G3 is also only up to 250 gal. you need to compare size rating to size rating.

Steve

cale262
03-29-2011, 06:10 PM
going to kind of be a useless comparason isn't it.. the skimz is rated up to 500 gal where the Vertex 250 is only rated up to 250 gal
the asm G3 is also only up to 250 gal. you need to compare size rating to size rating.

Steve

Just take the comparason and multiply it by 0.5 :wink:

:fear:

ALang
03-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Not related to topic, but nice stickers, Wayne!

fencer
03-29-2011, 06:49 PM
You win Lenny...first to notice the stickers..a chocolate easter egg

StirCrazy
03-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Just take the comparason and multiply it by 0.5 :wink:

:fear:

to bad it doesn't work that way or it would be easy...

nlreefguy
03-29-2011, 08:40 PM

Dude, those are fridge magnets! I know because I have an identical set on my fridge.... gotta love kids (it was kids who put those on your fridge right? :wink:)

fencer
04-03-2011, 06:03 AM
As of Apr 2 the skimmer is operational
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/P4020042.jpg
Notes:
1. If you purchase the external version, the is no height adjustment for the output pipe height. Either raise the skimmer so the pipe flows into the sump or drill a hole in the sump to fit the pipe
2. I would recommend a small second pump for the input, this one is manifolded to the main sump pump. In my system gravity feed does not have consistent flow a small pump corrects this. There is also no risk of your needle wheel pump running partially dry
3. Dailing in the output via the plunger valve is easy allowing for fine adjustments...gate valves do the same job
4. Noise ...quieter than the vertex 250...actually very quiet
5. Pump generates turbulent flow in the reactor for proper bubble entrainment. Vertex is about the same amount but the Skimz does this in a shorter length reaction chamber
6. I don't expect immediate results
a. there is a period or break in for the skiimmer
b. The system already maintains a high level of purity in part due to its ULNS status( this system was running an ASM G3)
c. I perfer a dry skim mate

ALang
04-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Don't like choc Easter egg, but how about a mango bubble tea??:mrgreen:

fencer
04-04-2011, 03:50 AM
I did a surge test today on the skimmer. Most skimmers have surges in the flow which upsets level and your cup floods. This can happen after a power outage or any reason that might cause your sump to overflow. When your mains start the water surges into the skimmer. Because my skimmer input is manifolded to the main feed pump, it surged and flooded the cup. If you have a separate pump postioned correctly or gravity feed this surge effect can be avoided.

fencer
04-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Update Apr 5
It took about a day to for the skimmer to break in. The skimmer is now foaming into the cup. Because I have a UNLS tank, I am surprised I am producing any dry skim mate. It is producing about 100 ml a day. Nothing has changed in the tank since taking the ASM G3 offline. While I have no way of measuring air flow, the air coming out of the top of the skimmer is about the same as the vertex. And way more than the ASM. This is remarkable since the vertex pump is 55 watts and the Skimz is 20 watts.

ALang
04-06-2011, 04:55 AM
So how much was your ASM producing prior to you taking it off-line??
If you are surprised by the amount of skim mate the Skimz has produced, then the ASM didn't hardly skim for you??:question:

fencer
04-06-2011, 07:32 PM
The ASM was producing way less than 100ml. I would say I would get that much dry skimmate every week in the ASM. I would say the difference in skimming efficiency is due to the fact that the Skimz design is better( pump and diffusion plate ). The ASM has a 50 watt pump and has less airflow

fencer
04-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Apr 11
The skimmer is working flawlessly. This is one of the quietest skimmers I have used. The water is very clear. The most skimmate production is happening when the lights are off. One thing I would recommend for this skimmer is an additional collection vessel attached to the drain plug of the skimmer cup. Pulling the cap off to drain the cup and not spill any liquid is nearly impossible.

fencer
04-18-2011, 03:25 AM
There will be a few more updates on skimmer performance later
Here is a comparison chart

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/17-04-20111-11-24AM.jpg

fencer
04-18-2011, 03:27 AM
General Skimmer Comments

What influences skimmer efficiency ( 1-10 with 10 the most)?

Does cast acrylic make a better skimmer----------------3
Cast is usually used in situations that require strength like pressure application. Cast has strength in all directions whereas extruded is subject to cracking along the long axis. Cast is one reason why the cost is higher in upper end skimmers. Usually cast skimmers are finished better. Use of ozone may cause weakness in extruded plastic.
Overall skimmer geometry ---- 5.
There has been a rash of cone type skimmers. I have yet to see any manufacturer show numbers relating to efficiency. At most I would think you stand to gain less that 10% over non cone skimmers
Diffusion plate in chamber ----- 9
Allows for better intermixing of air and water. Although I did like the
Vortex action the coralife generated. Air draw is important, but too much can cause large bubbles with excessive cavitation. So trying to put a larger pump on a skimmer will not work
Height of skimmer----------------- 6
This used to be critical but newer designs have eroded any gains tall skimmers had ( skimz vs vertex). Still a longer pipe = greater retention times
Impeller design---------------------- 9
Design is critical for the air water intermix. Although the skimz and vertex impeller are almost identical the skimz wins out because it uses a low wattage pump and improved pump/skimmer design. If you look at a Coralife impeller it is it very inefficient. Beckett designed skimmers work very well but it requires a lot of energy to drive the beckett properly.
Pump Design------------------------ 7
Pump design is required to match the skimmer. The intermix chamber design is critical in small bubble generation. Wattage is not so important, as the Skimz is one of the better performers with small wattage pumps. I think if the pump is placed closer to the diffusion chamber you actually get better performance with less horsepower.

So what do I choose?

Determine what you can afford and then add 10% to what you are willing to pay.
Cut the manufacturers recommended usage rating by 50%
Buy used if possible
Ask Canreef members opinions
Try to buy newer technology

Final Thoughts

There have been a few articles claiming then the best skimmers are only able to extract out 30% of the total organic content in the water. One article also states that a using a wood diffuser is just as efficient as the newer skimmers. All skimmers will reach the same point. Just some of them will take a longer time. If you decide buy a high end skimmer you have a good skimmer and the resale value is good. So is paying a lot of $$$ for top of the line skimmer worth a modest gain in efficiency? I can’t say anything about BK skimmers since I have never used one. I will leave you with one analogy. I am Porsche and Alfa owner and I am never going to tell anybody they are a bunch @!^$$&& Really I do own these cars....and there great cars

fencer
04-18-2011, 11:34 PM
The Skimz 202E final thoughts:

This is model is priced on the lower end of high end skimmers which doesn’t mean that it made cheaply. I found the construction made of thick cast acrylic and all the trim and finsh to be excellent. The pieces fit together well and easily. You have to glue the exit pipes in place yourself. This model is designed to be an external one, but you can easily adapt to in sump use. The footprint is as large as the In Vertex 250. The overall height is less than an ASM G3. This is very nice if you are space limited under the tank. Skimz does sell a model that is made for in sump use as well.

The input to the sump can be gravity feed, manifolded off the main pump or have a separate pump. The last two choices would be better configurations as you can regulate the amount of water passing through the skimmer. I had it off the manifold because I wanted to setup a recycle mode on the skimmer. The main pump used for air/water mixing is silent and produces a lot of fine bubbles. It runs very cool to the touch. In comparison to the Vertex the power draw on the Skimz is much lower and I would say a much better job at bubble production.

Once the skimmer is operational there is about one day break in period. After that you can easily dial in your type of skim mate wet or day via the height of the foam level in the skimmer. Most skimmers only tube adjustment to regulate the height of the foam in the skimmer; while it is possible to dial in the height it takes some effort to get it right. The plunger type valve the Skimz uses is equivalent to a gate valve. (A good mod for any skimmer) I did have to mount the skimmer a little higher than my sump because the exit stand pipes would not go over the lip of the sump. You can fix this by drilling a hole in the sump for the standpipe. Once in operation the air draw is very quiet. The air pipe is connected to a small cylinder, which acts as a muffler. It is adjustable (via a small screw) so you can regulate the air flow into the pump. This is also the port so you can introduce ozone to the unit. The collection cup holds about two litres of skimate and fits to the main body by screwing it on. Trying to clean the neck of the main body as you might have trouble unscrewing it. This is also true of the cup. Vertex’s have cups that still passively on the main body. All skimmers have drain ports in their cups. I always end up spilling some of the skimate, so I recommend a second collection cup which can be moved easily. This is one of a few skimmers I have seen a detachable diffusion plate. This allows access to the rest of the main chamber for cleaning. I was actually eyeing to mod it.

This skimmer’s competitors are Bubble King, Bubble Magnus,SWC and Vertex. These are all good skimmers, but vary a great deal in price. At this level you are truly nit picking at features and performance. See what your pocket book can take. If I knew then what I know now. I would have just shelled out for something like the Skimz. It works well and has good resale value. You won’t be disappointed. Ask your LFS for more info.

Myka
07-21-2011, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the review! I'm looking for a new skimmer for my reef, and have been checking out the Skimz as a possible candidate. I haven't heard much about the reliability of the pumps...you heard much?

Steve

Manufacturer ratings are practically useless. The best way I have found to compare skimmers is by pump gph and air intake lph. I also like to compare pump reliability, pump replacement costs (and parts), and watts.

fencer
07-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi Ms M

There are no real issues with the pump at all. I will be putting out a 4 month performance summary shortly

lastlight
07-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Glad to hear the pumps are working out well. They pull a ton of air with very minimal watts. My SM302 will hopefully arrive sometime near the end of August.

I've seen the build quality of these first hand at Concept Aquatics and I was impressed. Very thick/solid parts like my old BK... but easier on the wallet.

Myka
07-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Hi Ms M

There are no real issues with the pump at all. I will be putting out a 4 month performance summary shortly

Excellent!

I'm still on the fence. As it turns out, AquaMaxx puts out a needle wheel that fits onto the Sicce pumps which sounds like it completely fixes the restart issues. Puts the SWC 180 Cone back on the chopping block.

One guy on RC has a Skimz (can't remember which model off-hand) and a SWC 160 Cone, and he says he prefers the Skimz. However, he hasn't provided any more information than he likes the acrylic work better on the Skimz.

Hmm...decisions.

Aqua-Digital
07-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Just an Fyi - Skimz are bringing out an even further improved needle wheel at the end of this month, this will be to stop the stalling on re start on earlier models, wyne will be sent one. I am sure Wayne will be happy to report back on this fine tuned needle wheel when he gets it.

lastlight
07-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Michael will dave's order of 302s have this upgrade?

Aqua-Digital
07-24-2011, 02:15 AM
Yes its a standard fitment as of this month.

August for the 302's is being a bit hopeful ;) - September is realistic.

lastlight
07-24-2011, 03:39 AM
Awesome sounds good thanks!

biovolt
08-30-2011, 06:58 AM
Hallo

I am about to order one just worried about power failures and accentually draining my tank.

I do not have a sump and want to know how to install the skimmer on the floor below the tank, so that it will not flood my living room if the power go off. (Thinking of gravity feed)

Can you please explain how to do this?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
Johan

fencer
08-30-2011, 01:53 PM
The only way I can think of id having floating check valves and siphon breaks or have your inlets and outlets very close to the surface of the tank...so if back siphons you won't lose much....you would also have a catch pan under you skimmer

fencer
03-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Skimz Updatre

This is a long term update on the Skimz 202. As many of you know the Skimz pumps and impellers have had design defects in them. The problem was the impeller was oversized for the pump. This resulted in not being able to throttle the air supply properly. If you opened the throttle more the pump would cavitiate. I do know that Aqua Digital was trying very hard to expedite and resolve this issue within Canada. I waited for sometime before the replacement came. This only came about after a few email exchanges with the company directly. While I was waiting the impeller had a catastrophic failure. The magnetic impeller core split. ( I suspect the original impeller trapped air in the space between the magnetic shaft and housing. This caused the corrosion of the shaft and eventual failure.) In the process it damaged the internal housing sleeve surface causing the pump to overheat. I brought this up to SKIMZ directly for a replacement pump. The pump still worked with the new impeller but at this point in time it is starting to fail again. It is starting to seize. SKIMZ did initially agree to replace the pump but now refused to respond to my second email on the subject of pump replacement. (This was in Jan). I will keep you posted on this.

Having said that.... The overall construction of the Skimz 202 construction is very good. After a year I took the skimmer out of operation and inspected it. I found the unit to have no cracks or signs of wear and tear. The welds are good. The body design is very efficient at concentrating skim mate and one of the best I have used to date. Cleaning the skimmer cup is easy, it disconnects locks in with a gasket with a simple turn. I do recommend you clean the whole skimmer once a year. You do need to have an extra feed pump (Mag 5) to deliver a constant water flow to the main skimmer pump…gravity feed is to unreliable if your ATO fails. I would say if they come up with a better pump and the cost isn’t that much more(or less) you will have a good unit that will be good for many years. Because of the construction the resale value should be quite good. It easily matches the performance of some more expensive skimmers on the market today.
Sidenote: this goes for any non North American built piece of equipment. I wish they would include adaptors(metric to English). So if replacement pumps and fittings are need we just have to go to Rona instead of Germany

leslie hempel
03-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Skimz Updatre

This is a long term update on the Skimz 202. As many of you know the Skimz pumps and impellers have had design defects in them. The problem was the impeller was oversized for the pump. This resulted in not being able to throttle the air supply properly. If you opened the throttle more the pump would cavitiate. I do know that Aqua Digital was trying very hard to expedite and resolve this issue within Canada. I waited for sometime before the replacement came. This only came about after a few email exchanges with the company directly. While I was waiting the impeller had a catastrophic failure. The magnetic impeller core split. ( I suspect the original impeller trapped air in the space between the magnetic shaft and housing. This caused the corrosion of the shaft and eventual failure.) In the process it damaged the internal housing sleeve surface causing the pump to overheat. I brought this up to SKIMZ directly for a replacement pump. The pump still worked with the new impeller but at this point in time it is starting to fail again. It is starting to seize. SKIMZ did initially agree to replace the pump but now refused to respond to my second email on the subject of pump replacement. (This was in Jan). I will keep you posted on this.

Having said that.... The overall construction of the Skimz 202 construction is very good. After a year I took the skimmer out of operation and inspected it. I found the unit to have no cracks or signs of wear and tear. The welds are good. The body design is very efficient at concentrating skim mate and one of the best I have used to date. Cleaning the skimmer cup is easy, it disconnects locks in with a gasket with a simple turn. I do recommend you clean the whole skimmer once a year. You do need to have an extra feed pump (Mag 5) to deliver a constant water flow to the main skimmer pump…gravity feed is to unreliable if your ATO fails. I would say if they come up with a better pump and the cost isn’t that much more(or less) you will have a good unit that will be good for many years. Because of the construction the resale value should be quite good. It easily matches the performance of some more expensive skimmers on the market today.
Sidenote: this goes for any non North American built piece of equipment. I wish they would include adaptors(metric to English). So if replacement pumps and fittings are need we just have to go to Rona instead of Germany

you are not alone.. see my thread here as to my nighmare in my dealings with Skimz.
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?p=574053#post574053

hoping for a speedy outcome...

Aqua-Digital
03-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Here in Canada we no longer supply the Skimz with Eden pumps we have been working with Skimz over the winter to have the range fitted for us exclusively with Sicce pumps.

The first models to come over will be the Leopard providing the testing of the pumps can meet the performance of the Loepard. This is our first option, the second will be to go for modified SM range with Sicce pumps.

I do not see delivery being before late spring as testing is paramount.