PDA

View Full Version : MH bulbs PAR readings

George
03-27-2011, 11:05 PM
I got a MH fixture from EBay the other day (in this thread (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73934)). I would like to know if the MH bulbs (15K, 250W) come with the fixture are any good. They look white but what are the PAR of these bulbs. This is a little experiment I did to compare XM bulb running on my other tank with ebay bulb.

Setup
XM bulb set up: PFO probe start MH ballast 250W (M58), XM 10K 250W SE, unkown reflector (read: inefficient). Bulb is 3 month old.
Ebay bulb set up: Ebay 250W electronic ballast (seems to be icecap clone), ebay 15K 250W DE bulb, stock reflector in fixture, glass shield below bulb. Brand new bulb.

Equipment
I built my quantum meter from a apogee SQ-120 light sensor connecting to a Fluke 7 multimeter.

Testing method
Turn on MH, wait for 30 minutes before measuring. Place sensor 6" directly under a bulb, and above water.

Results:
XM bulb: 1600
Ebay bulb: 1450

Summary
At first glance, ebay bulb is comparable to XM bulb in term of PAR. XM bulb is 3 month old and may loose a little bit of PAR but ebay bulb is behind a glass shield.
This is the first time I use ebay bulb. I heard that they can loose PAR and shift spectrum quickly. I will have to re-test them after 3 months. This is a very quick and dirty test. I don't want everyone rushing out and buying ebay bulbs and all your corals turn brown. Do your own DD (due diligent).

RuGlu6
06-14-2011, 04:17 AM
its almost 3 month now.
Would you be able to check the PAR again?
THX.

Funky_Fish14
06-14-2011, 04:42 AM
Just a note - Any bulb behind a glass shield (DE bulbs) will always (and obviously) lose more PAR than the SE bulbs. I've seen a lot of par measurements taken or compared without the glass shield... its great to see you made note of the inclusion of the shield in your comparison.

Cheers,

Chris

christyf5
06-14-2011, 10:30 AM
I bought a set of these in SE, 14K 250W. I found they dropped off in intensity pretty quickly and could see it without measuring. I went back to my ushio bulbs (which now seem very yellow and irritate me) which are way more intense. Even after only 10 days of the ushios I'm seeing better colors than with the 14K bulbs (which colored up the corals in the first month or so of use).

Skimmerking
06-14-2011, 01:00 PM
yes how about a par reading.