PDA

View Full Version : Question About Home Made Fish Food

Madreefer
03-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Picked up some Seafood Medely to make my own fish food. It contains clams that are blanched. Can I use the clams that are in there or should I pick them out before putting in the food processor? All other ingrediants are raw.

toytech
03-28-2011, 12:53 AM
I use the same stuff , its all fine , i just cut back on the squid bits because there hard to chop small and the fish wont eat the bick chunks.

Madreefer
03-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Thanks. I decided to pick the clams out before I cut the stuff up.

kien
03-28-2011, 03:29 AM
I've been using that stuff for years without any issues. My fish love the clams the most I think. And ya, the octopus and squid is a bit brutal to blend so I take those out and try to blend those up first, or if i'm feeling ambitious I'll manually cut them up into bits. The only one that eats those bits are my trigger and banana wrasse though.

monocus
03-28-2011, 05:42 AM
i always buy my seafood separate , and lately i have been chopping it by hand.i also try to get organic so that no chemicals are added.plus i can feed my eels uncut seafood(except the prawns-though i did take the time to acclimatize 5 prawns into the tank-lasted 5 min-my snowflake ate them all whole)

loveless
03-28-2011, 03:06 PM
I bought a meat grinder from princes auto. It seems to work a little better than the blender and doesnt create all the juice. Plus its really hard to over meat grind as opposed to over blending. Sorry for the highjack

Madreefer
03-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks all. I used a food processor but a meat grinder would most likely make my wife a little happier. I usualy do this with the stuff frozen but this time I decided to unthaw it. Not the best idea as it makes it too fine, i'm gonna use it anyways rather than wasting $60 on ingrediants.