PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Spotfin Lionfish

JaiWiz
03-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Hey guys i just recently set up a small 30 gallon tank for a spotfin lionfish about 3 months ago and just put the lion in yesterday.
all my parameters are good with a little bit high of nitrates (10 ppm)
other then that the tank is prime.
i acclimated the fish in a 5 gal. bucket for about 45 min. to a hour.
i dripped it but every 10 - 15 minutes dumped a half cup of the aquarium water into the bucket. when i put the lion in he swam to the bottom of the tank and just layed there nose down so it looks like he is looking out the bottom glass. this morning i turned the light on he was in the same spot he then swam around and went back to the same spot. i tried feeding him and he would'nt even look at the white pacific prawn uncooked i had in there for him please i need some help this is a office pet and i have being bragging about this fish for months and now i finally got it and i dont wanna have anything happen to it. lol
ANy advice would be appreciated thanx guys

Mandosh
03-27-2011, 07:23 PM
The nose down thing is fairly normal for lions. It should "level out" in a couple of weeks when it gets more comfortable. As feeding goes, it can be tricky to get dwarf lions to eat sometimes. For the first while I wouldn't be too worried if you can't get it to eat prepared. You may have to entice it to start eating with some live food. Small mollies if you have to but live shrimp ideally.

Whats your lighting and rock structure like? They like lots of caves and overhangs with subdued light.

On another note, you should start thinking bigger tank...soon. Your fish will get to 7-8+ inches and lions grow fast.

Good read if you're interested
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/

Good luck

JaiWiz
03-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I live in Red Deer, Alberta. So live saltwater feeder fish are very hard to come by unless i jus buy green chromis which in that case the lion will be very pricey to feed. freshwater feeder fish are readily available but i have heard they have toxins in them which can bugger up a lions insides.
my next question is what should i feed him regularly ? I have read you need a variety to keep them healthy if you want your lion to have a long life. Are pacific white prawns alright or should i purchase some mysis shrimp and frozen krill ?
i really love this fish lol more then i thought i would i became attached within hours of having it ha.

JaiWiz
03-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Whats your lighting and rock structure like? They like lots of caves and overhangs with subdued light. for lighting i just have 2 retro fit compact flourescent bulbs one actinic and one white light both for the saltwater tank application and i have a big cave in the corner and then the rock tapers off to the other end of the tank. It is a bar bottom tank with a blue painted back on it

Mandosh
03-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Not being able to get saltwater feeders has nothing to do with Red Deer, they just don't really exist.

It's fine to start them off with freshwater feeders. Just try not to keep it up for more than a couple of weeds, a month tops. I think the potential health issues stem more from unhealthy fat and minimal nutrition content rather than toxins.

Ghost shrimp are overall the best if you can find them. Mollies are probably you best bet fish wise, and they're a lot easier to get a hold of. They can be acclimated to salt water, so you won't have to deal with dead feeders.

White prawns will be fine, but I would definately suggest you pick up some mysis. Silversides are a good choice as well. It's always a good idea to feed a variety of foods. Plus, it might take some variety before you find something it likes. Make sure if you're feeding larger foods (prawns, silversides) you cut them into smaller pieces.

Generally, its easier to get them to feed if they're really hungry. If you're unsuccessful with frozen, get it started eating on live, then starve it for a couple of days. Buy yourself a feeding stick if you don't already have one. Wave the food so it looks alive and that should do the trick.

Once you get past that point, feed ~3 times per week with a combination od the prawns, silversides, and mysis.

JaiWiz
03-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Jus wanna get things clear. Mollys are brackish fish in the freshwater hobby right.
and they are available at most petlands and pet smarts. and silversides are available at the grocery store or pet store ? these may sound like stupid questions but red deer has one store for saltwater and it has along way to go as far as supplies and stuff like that for saltwater fish.

Mandosh
03-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah, mollies are very common in freshwater stores. The black ones are usually pretty cheap. You might be able to find silversides at a grocery store?...I've never really looked.

You could probably get away without the silversides if you wanted to. I think Antennata's are more of a crustacean eater anyways.

Check if your store has ghost shrimp. Those things are like candy to lions.
If anything will get it to eat, those will. I've only ever been able to find them once though.

JaiWiz
03-27-2011, 08:32 PM
I just called the local petsmart and they stock ghost shrimp so i'am relieved of that( phew) lol and thank you very much you have calmed my nerves lol

Mandosh
03-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Good luck. BIGGER TANK!

Mandosh
03-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Work on converting it to frozen. Feeding live all the time will be a major pain in the ass.

JaiWiz
03-27-2011, 11:36 PM
i went to the local petsmart bought a ghost shrimp and lionfish gulped it up in a split second but he was still nose down lol i hope that doesnt last for long ha.